• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

homeless in canada

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lost here

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA....
I need some help. I moved to Canada 3 yrs ago and have a common law partner. 10 days ago we were in a verbel fight and I was smacked in the face while having a smoke. I was mad so I did flip the broken smoke back and went out side. Next thing I am arrested for assult level 1 and they took my passport. I have been told I cant go to our home and been living on a bench with no money or food. I was a forensic coroner and yes I should not have flicked it but it happened. I have to go to court in 40 days but untll then I wam homeless. I spoke to 3 police officers and others and they told me for a level 1 offence they never should have taken my passport to leave me homeless. In 40 days at court I am told by everyone there is no fine-record or time for this offence. I was also told OFF THE RECORD that if I went back to the usa without passport and did not come back for court date the only thing that would happen is an Ontario only bench warrent is issued and not one in usa. Everyone is telling me to go and get off the streets. I have never been in trouble for anything before and never had to lve on the streets like this. I lost my partner, home and even my dog but I need to get out of this situation. I dont care about getting passport back but if I go back to PA I do not want to be looking over my back everyday. I only have the clothes on my back and I do not know one person here in canada. Do they only do a Ontario only warrant? Can I go, get off the streets and start my life over? Assult 1 is one step higher than a parking ticket I was told by the police off the record. PLEASE HELP ME I an trapped**************...Thank you I forgot to add I am a us citizen and got my perment resident statice in canada a yr ago but I will give it up to get off the streets.

Last edited:

Country Living

I'm not sure why you listed your state as Pennsylvania. You're living in Canada and dealing with Canadian laws. This forum is for U.S. law only.

lost here

My question is will a warrent come to the us for a minor offence? I was told no but I have no one to ask. I was told it is a bench warrent and only for ontario. If this is true then I need to get off the streets. I had a job a 300k home and a life and in one day I am on the streets because of this. The us embassy even called the officer who did the charge and he said he will not give my passport back but the embassy said I can still come to usa without it since I am a us citizen. Is there a us/canada agreement or reciprocity that will do anything? I just need to get off the streets, i am tired, cold, hungry and broke. I do not want anything like the house or belongings, i just want to go home and start a new life. No one should have to live like this.
Is there any way a warrent for a level 1 assult to come to usa? ( I was told no but I do not want trouble)
The fine for this offence is two sessions of councling and that is all.
I never did anything and have no record.
I dont think anyone would live on a bench on the strees for 40 more days for a two session councling fine.

FlyingRon

Again, we can't tell you about international issues. We can't help you as to your charges in Canada or what will happen if you fail to appear for your Canadian trial.

The embassy can most likely help you back to the US or even replace the passport.

Country Living

Ron, the police took his passport so there's not a lot the embassy can do for him. A passport is now required to cross the Canadian / U.S. border regardless of citizenship.

What the embassy may be able to do is to expedite his legal situation with the Canadians so it can possibly be resolved in a timelier manner.

FlyingRon

Ron, the police took his passport so there's not a lot the embassy can do for him. A passport is now required to cross the Canadian / U.S. border regardless of citizenship.

What the embassy may be able to do is to expedite his legal situation with the Canadians so it can possibly be resolved in a timelier manner.
I am well aware of who has his passport an the fact that a passport is required. And if the Canadians snag him at the border there's not much that can be done, *BUT* they can't control what the US does for him. Go to the embassy and say I WANT TO GO BACK TO THE US. It may take a bit of time but something can be done, a duplicate passport, a passport card, or some waiver through the US side of the border.

xylene

The passport is required to clear AMERICAN entry.

There is no exit clearance for land borders by the Canadian authorities.

You are NOT hopelessly stuck outside the US is you have lost or do not have passport.

Ask to speak to a supervisor.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">