• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hooters

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dirt10

What is the name of your state? VA
A couple of days ago I got arrested for underage drunk in public. I had a couple of drinks and about 30 mins later I went to go eat with my friend at hooters. When we were almost done our waitress told me I wasn't leaving because I smell of alcohol. My friend ordered a pitcher but I did not drink any of it. The manager also came out and said that I couldn't leave and that the police were on the way. I tried to leave and as soon as I walked out the door an employee tackled me and held me on the ground until the police showed up. Can they keep me from leaving their restraunt like that? I wasn't causing a scene the waitress said that I just smelled of alcohol.

tranquility

They can, but it's a bold move. They pretty much made a citizen's arrest. For a misdemeanor committed in their presence, they determined to arrest you. They don't get a probable cause defense or a qualified immunity from suit, so they better have been right in making the arrest.

Also, the amount of force has to be reasonable. Here they may have even more of a problem. Tackling a person who has not done anything but be a minor in consumption seems a bit harsh. See an attorney.

As to the crime, nothing you've written will help you. However, you may have a civil suit against Hooters for false arrest and for battery.

gawm

A couple of days ago I got arrested for underage drunk in public. I had a couple of drinks and about 30 mins later I went to go eat with my friend at hooters.
They really do have the best wings, don't they? No one ever believes me when I tell them that, even though it's true!
When we were almost done our waitress told me I wasn't leaving because I smell of alcohol.
Have you ever heard of breath mints or gum? They won't fool police, but surely it can fool a Hooter's waitress. They aren't hired for their brains you know. (I also would have deducted 5% off her tip)
My friend ordered a pitcher but I did not drink any of it.
No one is believing that. They probably saw you drink some.
The manager also came out and said that I couldn't leave and that the police were on the way.
What happened when you bolted for the door?
I tried to leave and as soon as I walked out the door an employee tackled me and held me on the ground until the police showed up.
Wow, tackled by a Hooter's waitress! That is both exciting and embarrassing at the same time.
Can they keep me from leaving their restraunt like that?
Apparently.
I wasn't causing a scene the waitress said that I just smelled of alcohol.
That's usually the first clue. Good luck to you, next time you drink, stay at home.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">