• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

hope is probably all i got

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

underdog

What is the name of your state? VA

recently i was pulled over for not signaling. the town officer let me off with a warning but before it was all over, right after he said i could go, he asked if i had anything illegal in the car, or any weapons. the truth was i had a pipe in my pocket, but just that. he asked if he could search and i immediatly complied, there was nothing so i assumed it would just waste his time and i would go. inside of my bookbag he claimed he smelled pot. i will admit it smelled about 20% pot, 80% pencils. he claimed that this gave him the right to search my person because i gave him consent to search the car and he found probable cause. now the charge has been changed to marijuana possesion instead of just paraphernalia because of the resin. i have court on monday and i need to know how any of these facts about the incident will affect my case. (1) i traveled only a short distance in my car and never changed lanes so i had no reason to signal. (2) when another officer on the scene smelled the bookbag he did not state it smelled like pot, he only shrugged his shoulders. (3) after he told me to put my hands on my car and spread my legs, i surrendered the pipe over to him, but he still searched my afterwards.

i know its wordy but im 16 and in a lot of trouble for a piece of blown glass.
thanks.
CWhat is the name of your state?

justalayman

underdog said:
(3) after he told me to put my hands on my car and spread my legs, i surrendered the pipe over to him, but he still searched my afterwards.

QUOTE]

Exactly what part of your body is your "afterwards"? Is it a euphemism for something?

outonbail

i know its wordy but im 16 and in a lot of trouble for a piece of blown glass.
Not true, you are in trouble because of the particular shape and the purpose for which this shape is created. If you had a piece of glass sculptured into the form of Jesus or a Unicorn, or even a donkey, you would still have your glass ass.
Unfortunately, the only purpose for anyone to have a glass pipe is for smoking meth or crack. Each of which are illegal narcotics.
now the charge has been changed to marijuana possesion instead of just paraphernalia because of the resin.
I've seen a few glass pipes that were used for smoking marijuana, but 99 out of a hundred are purchased for smoking meth. However, even on the small chance you were using it to smoke marijuana, it too is illegal,,,, even if you don't inhale.

Hopefully you will take advantage of this unfortunate situation and get whatever help you may need to keep yourself clean and free of these life robbing substances, so you can move on and become a contributing member of society.

It doesn't sound as if the officer has done anything that would be considered a violation of your rights, so you may as well accept the fact that your not going to pass go and collect $200.00.

So at this point, I'd suggest you hire an attorney for damage control and depending on how much of a drug habit you've already developed, you may need someone to supervise your social affairs and help you to recognize and make the right choices. This way you can make something of yourself other than a drug addict.
Your now reaching that age where you need to take responsibility for your actions, as the decisions you make, can and will effect you for the rest of your life

CdwJava

jalle50319 said:
99 out of 100!?!?!? are you kidding
I'll go even further ... if this pipe was made out of blown glass (typically a "test tube" with the end heated to expand into a bulb and an opening made in the top) then I could testify that it WAS used to smoke meth. I have never seen one used to smoke any other substance ... though a few have been used to try rock cocaine, too.

If we are talking about a pretty, colored piece of blown glass with a bowl seperated by a narrow passage or a screen, then I can see that it could be used for marijuana. But a glass tube with a bulb in one end is NOT used to smoke marijuana ... unless you want to inhale burning embers.

- Carl

Swav107

I dont know VA laws, but a marijuana charge will usually be around $100 to a max of $2000. You may also have to go to a class about drug use. Since you are a minor, you probably will have your license revoked for a period of 6 months or until your 17.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
CdwJava said:
I'll go even further ... if this pipe was made out of blown glass (typically a "test tube" with the end heated to expand into a bulb and an opening made in the top) then I could testify that it WAS used to smoke meth. I have never seen one used to smoke any other substance ... though a few have been used to try rock cocaine, too.

If we are talking about a pretty, colored piece of blown glass with a bowl seperated by a narrow passage or a screen, then I can see that it could be used for marijuana. But a glass tube with a bulb in one end is NOT used to smoke marijuana ... unless you want to inhale burning embers.

- Carl
Actually at a local flea market near my house someone sells decorative glass pipes (such as those described above that aren't necessarily used to smoke anything. They have no resin or anything and could be used to hold paperclips or what not. Not the smartest things to buy or sell but he is legally allowed to sell them. The police even gave him the okay because they checked him out.

CdwJava

Ohiogal said:
Actually at a local flea market near my house someone sells decorative glass pipes (such as those described above that aren't necessarily used to smoke anything. They have no resin or anything and could be used to hold paperclips or what not. Not the smartest things to buy or sell but he is legally allowed to sell them. The police even gave him the okay because they checked him out.
Yep. But, a plain piece of blown glass is always used (in my experience) to smoke meth. They aren't decorated and they aren't used to smoke marijuana. If this pipe was a decorative piece I can see an argument to be made that it was nothing (if there was no residue), but if it was a plain, glass pipe I would make the arrest for paraphernalia (under CA law, anyway).

We have "head shops" that sell "tobacco accessories" including what we all know are marijuana pipes, but MJ pipes are not illegal in CA. And convenience stores here sell little glass test tubes with "air freshener" in them right next to small propane lighters! Well, duh! The tweakers buy the legal air freshner, dump the contents, use the "pencil" propane lighter to burn a bulb in the tube and then, Voila! Meth pipe!

- Carl

bucs1055

Carl

CdwJava said:
Yep. But, a plain piece of blown glass is always used (in my experience) to smoke meth. They aren't decorated and they aren't used to smoke marijuana. If this pipe was a decorative piece I can see an argument to be made that it was nothing (if there was no residue), but if it was a plain, glass pipe I would make the arrest for paraphernalia (under CA law, anyway).

We have "head shops" that sell "tobacco accessories" including what we all know are marijuana pipes, but MJ pipes are not illegal in CA. And convenience stores here sell little glass test tubes with "air freshener" in them right next to small propane lighters! Well, duh! The tweakers buy the legal air freshner, dump the contents, use the "pencil" propane lighter to burn a bulb in the tube and then, Voila! Meth pipe!

- Carl
I have always wanted to ask a cop how much head shops bother them. We all know what they sell and what the products are used for, I mean people don't smoke tobacco out of a "water pipe":D

OP, regarding still being searched after you gave the police officer your pipe, of course he is still going to search you.

Did you think that he would assume the pipe was the only thing on you?

If this is your first offense, I don't think the punishment will be to severe, but try being a little smarter from now on,as you don't want to ruin your life at sixteen.

Last edited:

CdwJava

bucs1055 said:
I have always wanted to ask a cop how much head shops bother them. We all know what they sell and what the products are used for, I mean people don't smoke tobacco out of a "water pipe":D
It bothers the HECK out of me!

Can't sell drugs over the counter, but we can sell books on how to grow or make them, sell all the supplies to grow or cook them, and almost all the paraphernalia needed to consume them!

It makes no sense to me!

- Carl

bucs1055

CdwJava said:
It bothers the HECK out of me!

Can't sell drugs over the counter, but we can sell books on how to grow or make them, sell all the supplies to grow or cook them, and almost all the paraphernalia needed to consume them!

It makes no sense to me!

- Carl
I always assumed that it would drive you guys crazy. Recently here in Oregon they busted the head shops for synthetic urine and urine masking agents, which are illegal. And we were saying that the cops were probably so ticked off that they had to walk past all the pipes, scales etc. to seize the urine supplies and ignore everything else, well, at least they got a couple guns, pounds of weed and money from someone dealing out of one of the shops.:rolleyes:

gawm

CdwJava said:

- Carl
Carl, would there have to be any residue in that pipe for the paraphernalia charge?

CdwJava

gawm said:
Carl, would there have to be any residue in that pipe for the paraphernalia charge?
It is not required, but, it helps to prove the charge. It really depends on the local court or DA.

The DA in San Diego County wanted to see evidence of use ... the DA in my current county does not need to see it.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">