+ Reply to Thread
    JesiDangerously is offline Junior Member

How do arrest warrants work?

I got a very bad speeding ticket in Texas, where I live now. I haven't been able to pay it and am currently doing community service to take care of it. I am planning to move to Alabama in just a couple weeks, and I have to have my 80 hours of community service finished in about a week. I don't really have time to do that many hours, so I am sure it will go to an arrest warrant. My question is, how will that affect me when I move to Alabama? Will an arrest warrant for a speeding ticket in Texas follow me to Alabama?

Also, how long does it take for an arrest warrant for something like this to go away, assuming they do go away?
    CdwJava is online now Senior Member
    Warrants don't go away. They remain with you. They may not extradite you from AL to TX, but there is a chance that you will keep getting held for the warrant whenever contacted.

Warrants also limit the jobs you can get, and prevent access to many types of loans, government assistance, SSI, and assorted welfare and aid programs.

Being a fugitive is a challenge.

- Carl
    A Nor Cal Cop Sergeant

"Make mine a double mocha ...
    And a croissant!"

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM
    acmb05 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JesiDangerously View Post
    I got a very bad speeding ticket in Texas, where I live now. I haven't been able to pay it and am currently doing community service to take care of it. I am planning to move to Alabama in just a couple weeks, and I have to have my 80 hours of community service finished in about a week. I don't really have time to do that many hours, so I am sure it will go to an arrest warrant. My question is, how will that affect me when I move to Alabama? Will an arrest warrant for a speeding ticket in Texas follow me to Alabama?

Also, how long does it take for an arrest warrant for something like this to go away, assuming they do go away?
    Well since you would not have a warrant for speeding you would have a warrant for violation of your court ordered community service it could definately come back and bite you in the ass.
    JETX is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JesiDangerously View Post
    Will an arrest warrant for a speeding ticket in Texas follow me to Alabama?
    And in addition to Carl's accurate post... your failure to comply with the court ordered PROBATION (which IS what you are doing) will result in a suspension of your Texas license. Then, when you try to get a license in Alabama, they will contact Texas (since both states are members of the 'Drivers License Compact') and find your Texas suspension... which means you won't get an Alabama license either.
    Running from the law only delays the inevitable.