• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How Do Cops Get Away With Altering Peoples Statements?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Riche09

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

My friend was recently arrested and the law enforcement officers asked for a statement and he said no. Regardless they took everything he said as his statement and also altered it. How would you go about fighting that if the interrogation was never taped or recorded? Also our Orleans County judge is going through cancer treatment and is not supposed to be on the stand. This is because of his chemo and all the drugs he is on that alter his decisions. Can someone please help?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

My friend was recently arrested and the law enforcement officers asked for a statement and he said no. Regardless they took everything he said as his statement and also altered it.
How do you know, were you present during the questioning?

Also our Orleans County judge is going through cancer treatment and is not supposed to be on the stand. This is because of his chemo and all the drugs he is on that alter his decisions.
Since when does a judge have to recuse himself because of medical treatment?

Can someone please help?
Help you what:confused:

Riche09

I was there during the visit when the crime occurred, the i was told everyword that was said during the so called "interview" is it even legal for them to take a statement if the accused says he does not want to make one? The judge is on many medications that alter his decisions and he is dying. He is making irrational decisions to everyone in court.

Isis1

I was there during the visit when the crime occurred, the i was told everyword that was said during the so called "interview" is it even legal for them to take a statement if the accused says he does not want to make one? The judge is on many medications that alter his decisions and he is dying. He is making irrational decisions to everyone in court.
that's not true. i worked for a court trustee while she was on chemo for cancer during her term. she was not irrational. a little hairless, but not irrational.

and how do you know he is dying? did you have a copy of his medical record?

Riche09

I know he is dying because it is in our town news. Is there anything my friend can do about his statement? the copy he received isn't even his signature. its a fake digital copy.

Isis1

I know he is dying because it is in our town news. Is there anything my friend can do about his statement? the copy he received isn't even his signature. its a fake digital copy.
ah. because the news is NEVER wrong. got it. :rolleyes:

your friend can get himself an attorney.

Riche09

Well he isn't sure where to start. I know people that know our judge personally. He is dying, his medications alter his decisions. how do you go about fighting felony charges?

dave33

Basically, the only thing you can do is challenge his statment in court. Your or rather your friends word vs. the officer does not put you in a good position. To even have a reasonable chance of success you will be needing a quality private attorney. Also, as far as the judge goes, discuss your concerns w your attorney.Whatever happens it will happen through your attorney, so start consulting. goodluck.

Riche09

thank you dave. everyone else is being very rude! im sorry i dont much about the government. thats why im here. If i was there when the crime took place can i make a statement?

quincy

The news is rarely wrong. ;) :)

(But you can check out Regret the Error: Mistakes Happen for some times when they were).

What the police write on their reports is for their benefit and to refresh their memories, but does not necessarily reflect, verbatim, any conversations or statements made.

The police had the right to question your friend, even after your friend said he didn't want to make a statement. Anything your friend DID say can be noted. If someone continues to talk, it is their error, not a police error.

Your friend will have the opportunity to present his "side" of what occurred, when he is in court. You could always support his story as his witness.

Chemotherapy, as Isabella said, should not make the judge irrational. Just pretty miserable.

CdwJava

You fight felony charged by hiring a criminal defense attorney to help.

If he feels the statement is not a true accounting of the facts, then he can refute them on the stand.

When the police speak to a person and then put it in the report, it is NOT a word-for-word statement. They create a synopsis of what is said. The real statement is made at trial.

Riche09

So i can either support him as a witness or make a statement of what i saw happen? Its a pretty bad crime. 3 felonys. Trying to pass drugs in a jail visit

Riche09

Thank you everyone for the tremendous help! if anyone has any other advice on what i should do to help myself please feel free to tell me. Also we would like to file a motion to have my boyfriends court switched to a different judge because of conflict of interest. is that possible? how would we go about doing that?

Isis1

Thank you everyone for the tremendous help! if anyone has any other advice on what i should do to help myself please feel free to tell me. Also we would like to file a motion to have my boyfriends court switched to a different judge because of conflict of interest. is that possible? how would we go about doing that?
your "friend" needs an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">