• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do request video as evidence for a criminal case

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

william71

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FLORIDA

I was involved in a fist fight in front of a store that resulted in me getting charged with a Simple Battery Misdemeanor about a month ago. From what I understand there is video that the store has that may or may not prove my innocence. How does one go about obtaining a copy of such video? If possible, could I file a motion on my own to obtain a copy of the video? Do I just ask the store for a copy? Any advice on this would be appreciated.
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FLORIDA

I was involved in a fist fight in front of a store that resulted in me getting charged with a Simple Battery Misdemeanor about a month ago. From what I understand there is video that the store has that may or may not prove my innocence. How does one go about obtaining a copy of such video? If possible, could I file a motion on my own to obtain a copy of the video? Do I just ask the store for a copy? Any advice on this would be appreciated.
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Your attorney should have no problem getting a copy...

CdwJava

You can ASK the store for a copy, but they would not be compelled to provide it. Your attorney will know to subpoena the tape.

Also, be careful because the tape may not show what you hope it will show. If the two of you engaged in a mutual combat or are equally to blame for instigating the fight it will not matter who threw the first punch and all the vide will do will be to affirm the fact that you DID throw a punch and commit battery.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Before answering - check the posting hx folks. This guy's just gonna tell us we're wrong...he's got it all figured out!

william71

Before answering - check the posting hx folks. This guy's just gonna tell us we're wrong...he's got it all figured out!
That's because 99% of the time you are wrong Zigner regarding the outcome of cases. Just my experience with your answers.

william71

You can ASK the store for a copy, but they would not be compelled to provide it. Your attorney will know to subpoena the tape.

Also, be careful because the tape may not show what you hope it will show. If the two of you engaged in a mutual combat or are equally to blame for instigating the fight it will not matter who threw the first punch and all the vide will do will be to affirm the fact that you DID throw a punch and commit battery.
Thanks CDW - Sound advice. I'll keep that in mind as the case gets closer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">