• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How does a Court Summons work?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tomholly

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA

Hi folks,

A month ago I was pulled over for driving with a suspended license. The State Trooper was kind enough to not arrest me, and gave me a summons which I filled out and filed with the court. I'm wondering what the process is? My court date is on the 20th of January. I had no idea my license was suspended, and apparently had been suspended a week prior for a unpaid traffic ticket (driving a unregistered vehicle). I got this ticket because I was 3 days past the 7 day limit after you purchase a car to get it registered. My fault, and I accept that.

Anyways, the next day I paid the fine for the previous ticket, paid the reinstatement fee and took the driving class necessary.

What happens in the court? I fly out of the country the next day (for a month) so I'm hoping for a quick resolution. I'm guessing I should bring all the documents and receipts of what I've paid so far and evidence that my license is still valid?

Any input would be appreciated, I've never done this before.

Thanks

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA

Hi folks,

A month ago I was pulled over for driving with a suspended license. The State Trooper was kind enough to not arrest me, and gave me a summons which I filled out and filed with the court. I'm wondering what the process is? My court date is on the 20th of January. I had no idea my license was suspended, and apparently had been suspended a week prior for a unpaid traffic ticket (driving a unregistered vehicle). I got this ticket because I was 3 days past the 7 day limit after you purchase a car to get it registered. My fault, and I accept that.

Anyways, the next day I paid the fine for the previous ticket, paid the reinstatement fee and took the driving class necessary.

What happens in the court? I fly out of the country the next day (for a month) so I'm hoping for a quick resolution. I'm guessing I should bring all the documents and receipts of what I've paid so far and evidence that my license is still valid?

Any input would be appreciated, I've never done this before.

Thanks
What was the status of your license on the day you received your ticket? suspended was it not?
I'd be calling an Attorney and then the airline cause I don't think you be making that flight.
Good luck

tomholly

What was the status of your license on the day you received your ticket? suspended was it not?
I'd be calling an Attorney and then the airline cause I don't think you be making that flight.
Good luck

Hi,

My license was not suspended when I received the ticket. Why do you think I wouldn't make the flight? What would they do?

Thanks

tomholly

Then why did you say this?
Sorry! I don't think I explained it correctly.

I had two incidents.

October- Driving with a expired plates and unregistered- License was active.

December- Car broke down, I called the state police for help, and thats when I was informed that it was suspended due to the October ticket. The next day I paid the fines and my license is now active.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I had no idea my license was suspended...

Uh, right. I'm sure if you read the ticket it would have told you that failure to answer it or pay the fine will result in a license suspension. That's sufficient notice as far as the court is concerned.

You obviously knew you disregarded the ticket so therefore you should have known that your license would be suspended.

dave33

Sorry! I don't think I explained it correctly.

I had two incidents.

October- Driving with a expired plates and unregistered- License was active.

December- Car broke down, I called the state police for help, and thats when I was informed that it was suspended due to the October ticket. The next day I paid the fines and my license is now active.
When you go to court bring evidence of an active license. Not sure about Mass. but it should go a long way and possibly resolve the entire issue on the 1st court date. goodluck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">