• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How does one look up the "crime log" in their community?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

curiousgeorge12

What is the name of your state? CA

I've noticed that sometimes small newspapers post this type of information in a column. Something (with a police chopper and multiple cars) went down in my normally-very-quiet neighborhood last night and I'm really curious as to what it was. Assuming a police report was filed, how would I find this out? Thanks!

CdwJava

Ditto - call the police and ask them. Only small towns seem to want the local police blotter for filler. larger cities have more real news so they don't need to pad it with a list of calls such as: "Officer Smith responded to a report of a barking dog at 123 Main Street." (ad nauseum).

- Carl

curiousgeorge12

Haha. Yes they do. I live in Los Angeles and subscribe to the Times, so no printed police blotter for me.

My grandmother lives in a very small town in Nebraska with a weekly paper that has such gems as (and I am not making this up):

11:53 pm Officer responded to a disturbance at Main and Hwy. 20
12:05 am Racoon recovered

This made me think of it. I wish they printed one up for my area of town.

CdwJava

curiousgeorge12 said:
Haha. Yes they do. I live in Los Angeles and subscribe to the Times, so no printed police blotter for me.

My grandmother lives in a very small town in Nebraska with a weekly paper that has such gems as (and I am not making this up):

11:53 pm Officer responded to a disturbance at Main and Hwy. 20
12:05 am Racoon recovered

This made me think of it. I wish they printed one up for my area of town.
We checked and counted the sheep in the local high school 4-H pen (the Fair starts in a couple weeks) ... we had to chase a porcupine up a tree ... officers responded to a parent requesting officers to assist with an "out of control" 6--year-old ... need I go on? :D

Ah, the country life! A far cry from my days of getting shot at in the urban sprawl!

- Carl

ezmarelda

These were my recent favorites....

April 6

5:29 p.m., disturbing the peace: Occurred on Salt Springs Road; reporting party stated that neighboring resident shot and killed their dog; report taken.

April 7

11:33 a.m., keeping the peace: Occurred on Salt Springs Road; reporting party wanted neighbor's dead dog removed from her property without confrontation; contact/assistance provided.

CourtClerk

These were my recent favorites....

April 6

5:29 p.m., disturbing the peace: Occurred on Salt Springs Road; reporting party stated that neighboring resident shot and killed their dog; report taken.

April 7

11:33 a.m., keeping the peace: Occurred on Salt Springs Road; reporting party wanted neighbor's dead dog removed from her property without confrontation; contact/assistance provided.

Eme...that darn Salt Springs Road has a lot going on huh? Must be the excitement of the town...LOL

Years ago in the city where I live the local paper (Press Telegram) used to do a whole page of the police blotter, they don't do it anymore, but the South Bay Paper (Daily Breeze) still does, but they break it down day by day for different parts of the city.

But yes, OP, you should be able to call the local non emergency number and ask them.

You Are Guilty

Both of the non-Times NYC papers run crime blotters. Here's a sample from today's:
A tenant pummeled his landlord yesterday after he was booted from his Bedford-Stuyvesant apartment for not paying his rent, authorities said.
There was another one about a guy caught with crack rocks the size of golfballs, but this one was funnier ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">