• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How does Texas handle out of state warrants?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zman6340

I now live in Texas, but have just recently discovered I have a warrant out of Norfork, Virginia for contempt of court. I know that VA does not have an extradition for a Class C misdemeanor. After I moved to TX, I found out that I was served with the court papers. A friend of mine took the papers to the court clerk and explained that I no longer live in VA.

My questions are: if stopped for a minor traffic violation, will TX peace officers arrest me for the outstanding warrant in VA? And if so, will I be able to bond out of jail?

CavemanLawyer

A warrant can either be valid in the issuing state and all surrounding states or it can be valid in all states. For a class c warrant my guess is that it will only be issued in surrounding states so you couldn't be arrested for it in Texas. If for some reason it was issued in all states then yes a Texas officer would most likely arrest you for it and you'd be held while Texas contacted Virginia to see if they want to issue a governor's warrant to extradite you. Virginia would have so many days to respond before you'd be allowed to bond out. So even if Virginia did not want to extradite its still possible that you'd sit in jail for at least a few days before being released. And then every time you got pulled over you'd go through it all over again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">