• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How far in advance do you get subpoenaed to testify & how do they subpoena a person?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Reqless607

How far in advance do you get subpoenaed to testify & how do they subpoena a person?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MT(where the case is at)

There is a federal court case involving my fiances father and my fiances son (long story as to why this bull crap case is a federal case) but nonetheless, we have both been interviewed by lawyers, fbi, and guardian ad litem and even though the case doesn't directly involve us, its assumed we'd be subpoenaed to testify in some way.....The case is scheduled for the first week in August so says our VNS site unless something changes,
My question is how far in advance do they subpoena people to testify?? We were planning on attending for moral support but itd be nice to know if going was going to be manditory for us to be there....(because we have to travel multiple states)

And also, how do they subpoena people? My fiance and I travel for work so are never at our mailing address, will they call us? Do they mail it? Serve it? What if we arent present in the state trying to give us the subpoena, will they get someone in the state we're in at the time to come serve us? or are we going to get warrants for aressts??

Neither of us have ever had legal issues so this is all slightly nerve racking....
:(

LdiJ

There is a federal court case involving my fiances father and my fiances son (long story as to why this bull crap case is a federal case) but nonetheless, we have both been interviewed by lawyers, fbi, and guardian ad litem and even though the case doesn't directly involve us, its assumed we'd be subpoenaed to testify in some way.....The case is scheduled for the first week in August so says our VNS site unless something changes,
My question is how far in advance do they subpoena people to testify?? We were planning on attending for moral support but itd be nice to know if going was going to be manditory for us to be there....(because we have to travel multiple states)

And also, how do they subpoena people? My fiance and I travel for work so are never at our mailing address, will they call us? Do they mail it? Serve it? What if we arent present in the state trying to give us the subpoena, will they get someone in the state we're in at the time to come serve us? or are we going to get warrants for aressts??

Neither of us have ever had legal issues so this is all slightly nerve racking....
:(
They definitely won't call you. It would either have to be certified mail or in person somehow.

Indiana Filer

(
What state are you in? I don't think they can subpoena you in a different state, so if you aren't a MT resident, you won't be subpoena'd. Actually, they could send you a subpoena, but it wouldn't be enforceable unless they serve you while you are in MT.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">