• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to file perjury charge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ashleyie

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

Recently, I noticed that the Plaintiff has provided knowingly false information, as part of her civil lawsuit, to the Superior Court of Georgia in Clarke County. I am/was not a party in that lawsuit (and this case is closed sometime ago) and no one else noticed this submission of false information. I saw “ARTICLE 4- PERJURY AND RELATED OFFENSES § 16-10-70 – Perjury” and I wish to complain to the concerned judicial/civil administrators about this perjury.

(i). To whom I have to complain about perjury?
(ii). How to complain?
(iii). Is there any time limits (statues of limitations) for me to make this complaint?
(iv). I am above 21 years, US citizen, and now lives in Alabama. Am I qualified to file this perjury complaint?

Last edited:

Silverplum

Recently, I noticed that the Plaintiff has provided knowingly false information, as part of her civil lawsuit, to the Superior Court of Georgia in Clarke County. I am/was not a party in that lawsuit (and this case is closed sometime ago) and no one else noticed this submission of false information. I saw “ARTICLE 4- PERJURY AND RELATED OFFENSES § 16-10-70 – Perjury” and I wish to complain to the concerned judicial/civil administrators about this perjury.

(ii). How to complain?
(iii). Is there any time limits (statues of limitations) for me to make this complaint?
(iv). I am above 21 years, US citizen, and now lives in Alabama. Am I qualified to file this perjury complaint?
What's the point? You aren't a party, the case is closed. Why should I/we look up laws and procedures for you?

ashleyie

Thanks.

Now she filed a (new) civil lawsuit on me. I am using the previous lawsuit (in which she provided false information) in my defense. I wish to prove that she committed perjury in the past.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thanks.

Now she filed a (new) civil lawsuit on me. I am using the previous lawsuit (in which she provided false information) in my defense. I wish to prove that she committed perjury in the past.
It's irrelevant - move on.

ashleyie

Thanks.

I think it is still relevant because the definition is as follows:

"A person to whom a lawful oath or affirmation has been administered commits the offense of perjury when, in a judicial proceeding, he knowingly and willfully makes a false statement material to the issue or point in question."

The previous lawsuit was submitted under oath, it was in a judicial proceeding, and she knowingly made false information. Could you clarify why I cannot file perjury complaint?

Silverplum

Thanks.

I think it is still relevant because the definition is as follows:

"A person to whom a lawful oath or affirmation has been administered commits the offense of perjury when, in a judicial proceeding, he knowingly and willfully makes a false statement material to the issue or point in question."

The previous lawsuit was submitted under oath, it was in a judicial proceeding, and she knowingly made false information. Could you clarify why I cannot file perjury complaint?
It's entirely up to the prosecutor to file charges. Feel free to write the prosecutor's office for that county and make your "complaint."

latigo

Thanks.

Well let me assure you that you are wrong!

Because you are not going to be able to use her alleged false testimony or submission of fabricated documentary evidence in the previous lawsuit in your defense! Whether she did or did not commit perjury in the previous lawsuit wouldn't be admissible.

It is also illogical to think that the evidence complained of as submitted in the earlier case would be relevant to the issues you are facing. But supposing so, and she offers the same alleged perjured evidence against you, all you could do is to attempt to refute it with contrary evidence. But the question of whether or not she was being truthful in the prior lawsuit would not be considered germane in your lawsuit.

But for sake of discussion let's say that she is charged with the felony of perjury and convicted before you case comes to trial. You could then in cross examination impeach her veracity by establishing that she has a felony record. (Either by her admission or introducing a certified copy of the judgment of conviction.)

BUT that would be the end of the impeachment process as could not question her as to the details or nature of her felony conviction.

We aren't pleasured with knowing the grounds upon you are being sued, but if the only "defense" you have is your gross misinterpretation of the rules of evidence, perhaps you should seek a settlement.

Adding:

Now if you want to waste your time trying to convince a prosecutor to file charges of perjury, and purely for you self interest, that is you prerogative.

Just don't expect them to fall all over themselves in rushing to prepare the indictment or clamoring to take it before a grand jury.

Last edited:

Peter Mark

(ii). How to complain?

Perjury is a criminal offense committed by a person who, having been sworn to tell the truth in a matter pending in a court of justice, willfully and deliberately lies.
You can file a case related to Criminal Prosecution, Civil Liability, Defamation, Considerations

latigo

Perjury is a criminal offense committed by a person who, having been sworn to tell the truth in a matter pending in a court of justice, willfully and deliberately lies.
You can file a case related to Criminal Prosecution, Civil Liability, Defamation, Considerations.(?)
And I suppose that if a female witness fibs about her age, she is carted off to prison. Right? Or the defendant traveling at high noon claims the sun was in his eyes and didn't see the stop sign?

Or did you just neglect to mention that the statement must also be "material to the issue or point in question" as in Section 16-10-70 O. C. G. A.?

And I don't know what is meant with this "file a case related to Criminal Prosecution, Civil Liability, Defamation, Considerations" and neither do you!

single317dad

Because you are not going to be able to use her alleged false testimony or submission of fabricated documentary evidence in the previous lawsuit in your defense! Whether she did or did not commit perjury in the previous lawsuit wouldn't be admissible.

It is also illogical to think that the evidence complained of as submitted in the earlier case would be relevant to the issues you are facing. But supposing so, and she offers the same alleged perjured evidence against you, all you could do is to attempt to refute it with contrary evidence. But the question of whether or not she was being truthful in the prior lawsuit would not be considered germane in your lawsuit.

But for sake of discussion let's say that she is charged with the felony of perjury and convicted before you case comes to trial. You could then in cross examination impeach her veracity by establishing that she has a felony record. (Either by her admission or introducing a certified copy of the judgment of conviction.)

BUT that would be the end of the impeachment process as could not question her as to the details or nature of her felony conviction.
Perhaps our protagonist should petition the court to compel this perjurious party to permanently affix a prominent purple "P" to the bodice of all her dresses, for easy identification of her transgression.

Bonus points if you can say that without spraying it.

Peter Mark

And I suppose that if a female witness fibs about her age, she is carted off to prison. Right? Or the defendant traveling at high noon claims the sun was in his eyes and didn't see the stop sign?

Or did you just neglect to mention that the statement must also be "material to the issue or point in question" as in Section 16-10-70 O. C. G. A.?

And I don't know what is meant with this "file a case related to Criminal Prosecution, Civil Liability, Defamation, Considerations" and neither do you!

What i mean to say is,

Defamation may be a criminal or civil charge

Any intentional false communication, either written or spoken, that harms a person's reputation; decreases the respect, regard, or confidence in which a person is held; or induces disparaging, hostile, or disagreeable opinions or feelings against a person.

Civil liability

The penalties for criminal offences are fines and imprisonment, as well as other non-custodial punishments. 2.2. Civil liability. Civil liability gives a person rights to obtain redress from another person

Consideration is the concept of legal value in connection with contracts. It is anything of value promised to another when making a contract. It can take the form of money, physical objects, services, promised actions, abstinence from a future action, and much more.

If these are the issue you have come to known please consult an experienced attorney.

And my question if anyone fibs about personal information or any information realted to law it comes in perjury?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What i mean to say is,

Defamation may be a criminal or civil charge

Any intentional false communication, either written or spoken, that harms a person's reputation; decreases the respect, regard, or confidence in which a person is held; or induces disparaging, hostile, or disagreeable opinions or feelings against a person.

Civil liability

The penalties for criminal offences are fines and imprisonment, as well as other non-custodial punishments. 2.2. Civil liability. Civil liability gives a person rights to obtain redress from another person

Consideration is the concept of legal value in connection with contracts. It is anything of value promised to another when making a contract. It can take the form of money, physical objects, services, promised actions, abstinence from a future action, and much more.

If these are the issue you have come to known please consult an experienced attorney.

And my question if anyone fibs about personal information or any information realted to law it comes in perjury?
In this case, it's not defamation. Research more thoroughly.

And, in the future, please provide proper citations for the work you cut and paste.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">