• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to get back seized property?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DoneeDiego

I am looking for some advice regarding how to get my seized goods back from the police. They were taken during a police investigation, but charges were never filed. This was in the fall of 2009. Now that it has been over three years, I am under the impression that the statute of limitations is up. However I am hesitant to contact the police department as I now live out of state and do not want to I initiate contact if it could have negative reprocussions. The item that was seized was my laptop and external hard drive, and there are a number of pictures that I would like to be able to have. If in fact I can no longer put myself at risk by contacting the police, does anyone have any experience with this type of situation? Any help is appreciated.

swalsh411

As long as you stick to only getting your stuff back and do not discuss the case I don't see the harm in asking. Likely the detectives have moved on to other cases a long time ago so you would just be talking to somebody who handles seized property.

They know where you are. If they had evidence to charge you they would come get you. It's not like you're hiding from them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">