• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how laws work between states

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

danthegolfer

so me and my friends were having a discussion/argument, and i was wondering what the ruling is.

a) say i live in virginia, and i go to a friends house in pennsylvania, and i get caught for underage possession of alcohol/being drunk/etc. do i go to court in virginia (my home state) or pennsylvania (state where crime occurred), and which states laws apply to my case.

simlirly,

b) say i live in massachusetts, where the death penalty is banned. i go to texas and kill 50 people. do i go to court in texas (and most liekly get the death penalty), or do i go to court in massachusetts and most likely only get life in prison?

finally,

c) say i live in virginia and get a speeding ticket in pennsylvania. if i want to fight the case, instead of just pay the ticket, i would appear in the county in pennsylvania in which the ticket occurred, correct?

The Occultist

Yes, you are charged within a state, you go to court in that state, using all applicable laws/punishments from that state. What state you live in is completely irrelevant.

outonbail

so me and my friends were having a discussion/argument, and i was wondering what the ruling is.

a) say i live in virginia, and i go to a friends house in pennsylvania, and i get caught for underage possession of alcohol/being drunk/etc. do i go to court in virginia (my home state) or pennsylvania (state where crime occurred), and which states laws apply to my case.
Are you making travel arrangements which will include being arrested for criminal activity?

simlirly,

b) say i live in massachusetts, where the death penalty is banned. i go to texas and kill 50 people. do i go to court in texas (and most liekly get the death penalty), or do i go to court in Massachusetts and most likely only get life in prison?
You will not be leaving Texas until you have a tag on your big toe.

c) say i live in virginia and get a speeding ticket in pennsylvania. if i want to fight the case, instead of just pay the ticket, i would appear in the county in pennsylvania in which the ticket occurred, correct?
This is moot, you will not be breaking any posted speed limit laws in Pennsylvania, because you killed fifty citizens in Texas. So you will be held without bail until trial time and convicted shortly after that. Then it's back to meet your maker where you'll have allot of explaining to do...

The Occultist

Are you making travel arrangements which will include being arrested for criminal activity?

simlirly,

You will not be leaving Texas until you have a tag on your big toe.

This is moot, you will not be breaking any posted speed limit laws in Pennsylvania, because you killed fifty citizens in Texas. So you will be held without bail until trial time and convicted shortly after that. Then it's back to meet your maker where you'll have allot of explaining to do...
Oh man. Thank you! That had me cracking up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">