• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How long can someone be held without charges?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CdwJava

I don't know about NY, but in my state you have 48 hours (two COURT days) to be arraigned.

In any event, being held over the proscribed 24 or 48 hours does not make the original charge go away.

Consult local counsel.

- Carl

CdwJava

According to several web sites, the time you can be held in New York (at least New York City) until you are arraigned is 24 hours ... additionally, it is apparently NOT uncommon for people to be held for up to 48 hours without any apparent repercussions.

- Carl

CdwJava

Since the state of New York is not the federal government, and this is not related to terrorism, the comparison to Padilla is not relevant.

- Carl

Ozark_Sophist

Since the state of New York is not the federal government, and this is not related to terrorism, the comparison to Padilla is not relevant.

- Carl
Where does the OP say the charge was a state charge and not a federal, or for that matter, what the arrest was related to?

CdwJava

Ozark_Sophist said:
Where does the OP say the charge was a state charge and not a federal, or for that matter, what the arrest was related to?
Marbol raised the specter of Jose Padilla with regard to being held without charges ... Padilla is a federal matter and an accused terrorist - the OP's matter is neither terror related nor federal (I presume it is a state charge in New York), so the comparison is apples and iPods.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">