• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how long can they hold property that they confiscated?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CdwJava

How long "they" can hold property depends on who "they" are, and why "they" seized the property.

Would you care to elaborate?

rickiclose

detective

a detective came to my friends house fishing for info on a stolen tv. my friend bought a tv but never got a receipt. her mom let the dick in the house. my friend is 30 years old and admitted to buying the tv. they didnt have a warrant nor knew what they were doing.as they questioned my friend her mom was present and myself. they were trying to take the tv without a warrant or police report and her mom was telling them to take it. i was telling her to demand a warrant , for they had just assumed it was the tv. is this legal and how long can they hold the tv for investigating? they also made me leave and let the mom stay due to opinions. should i have called the police in the city we were in. the dicks were from a different city.

Last edited:

DAD09

You should not have let the private detectives in. However if the authorities show up with a warrant then chances are that your 99.9% in trouble. That is VERY possible.

rickiclose

how long

so does anyone know the time frame on seizure. they also said something about serial #'s inside the tv?

CdwJava

a detective came to my friends house fishing for info on a stolen tv. my friend bought a tv but never got a receipt. her mom let the dick in the house. my friend is 30 years old and admitted to buying the tv. they didnt have a warrant nor knew what they were doing.as they questioned my friend her mom was present and myself. they were trying to take the tv without a warrant or police report and her mom was telling them to take it. i was telling her to demand a warrant , for they had just assumed it was the tv. is this legal and how long can they hold the tv for investigating? they also made me leave and let the mom stay due to opinions. should i have called the police in the city we were in. the dicks were from a different city.
If they were allowed to take it, and it has been seized as evidence, then they can hold on to it until the case has been adjudicated. Even then, the law enforcement agency probably will not release it without the permission of the DA or an order of the court.

If the matter does not go to trial, then the police could release it early, they might wait until the statute of limitations expires, or they might hold it until a court orders it or the DA signs off on it.

Understand that if the item is a key piece of evidence, even after someone is convicted of the offense, the agency will likely hold the property until AFTER the appeals period has also expired.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">