+ Reply to Thread
    rickiclose is offline Junior Member

how long can they hold property that they confiscated?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ca.
    CdwJava is online now Senior Member
    How long "they" can hold property depends on who "they" are, and why "they" seized the property.

Would you care to elaborate?
    A Nor Cal Cop Sergeant

"Make mine a double mocha ...
    And a croissant!"

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM
    swalsh411 is offline Senior Member
    If it's something illegal to own then forever.

detective

a detective came to my friends house fishing for info on a stolen tv. my friend bought a tv but never got a receipt. her mom let the dick in the house. my friend is 30 years old and admitted to buying the tv. they didnt have a warrant nor knew what they were doing.as they questioned my friend her mom was present and myself. they were trying to take the tv without a warrant or police report and her mom was telling them to take it. i was telling her to demand a warrant , for they had just assumed it was the tv. is this legal and how long can they hold the tv for investigating? they also made me leave and let the mom stay due to opinions. should i have called the police in the city we were in. the dicks were from a different city.
    Last edited by rickiclose; 02-02-2010 at 02:25 PM. Reason: seizure is what i meant.
    DAD09 is offline Registered User
    You should not have let the private detectives in. However if the authorities show up with a warrant then chances are that your 99.9% in trouble. That is VERY possible.
    it wasnt my home. i had no say in the matter. should my friend be looking over her shoulder?

how long

so does anyone know the time frame on seizure. they also said something about serial #'s inside the tv?
    CdwJava is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rickiclose View Post
    a detective came to my friends house fishing for info on a stolen tv. my friend bought a tv but never got a receipt. her mom let the dick in the house. my friend is 30 years old and admitted to buying the tv. they didnt have a warrant nor knew what they were doing.as they questioned my friend her mom was present and myself. they were trying to take the tv without a warrant or police report and her mom was telling them to take it. i was telling her to demand a warrant , for they had just assumed it was the tv. is this legal and how long can they hold the tv for investigating? they also made me leave and let the mom stay due to opinions. should i have called the police in the city we were in. the dicks were from a different city.
    If they were allowed to take it, and it has been seized as evidence, then they can hold on to it until the case has been adjudicated. Even then, the law enforcement agency probably will not release it without the permission of the DA or an order of the court.

If the matter does not go to trial, then the police could release it early, they might wait until the statute of limitations expires, or they might hold it until a court orders it or the DA signs off on it.

Understand that if the item is a key piece of evidence, even after someone is convicted of the offense, the agency will likely hold the property until AFTER the appeals period has also expired.
    A Nor Cal Cop Sergeant

"Make mine a double mocha ...
    And a croissant!"

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM
    DAD09 is offline Registered User

Only If your Friend Did Something Wrong..

Then my answer would be YES.