• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How long can they hold you in jail to transfer for a warrant in another city ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

I have a close relative that has a 2 year old warrant in another city several hours away. He has been stopped many times by the local police but always released because the city that had the warrant was either or unreachable or stated they weren't coming to get him. Of course this last time he was stopped, the city said they wanted him held without bond. It is a felony forgery charge. The police officer said he would be held for 72 hours locally so the city could come get him. That was 2 days ago. I am wondering if there is a possibility he could be released after 72 hours because when I called the city, they said he had not been transferred yet. That officer said no, he could be held indefinitely. That sounds crazy to me.

Does anyone know how long he can be held ?

OHRoadwarrior

Generally, they won't hold them more than 2 or 3 weeks. Usually just long enough to lose their job and maybe their home. It appears they are done playing. He can expect it to continue reoccurring each time he comes into contact with law enforcement until he deals with the issue.

dave33

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

I have a close relative that has a 2 year old warrant in another city several hours away. He has been stopped many times by the local police but always released because the city that had the warrant was either or unreachable or stated they weren't coming to get him. Of course this last time he was stopped, the city said they wanted him held without bond. It is a felony forgery charge. The police officer said he would be held for 72 hours locally so the city could come get him. That was 2 days ago. I am wondering if there is a possibility he could be released after 72 hours because when I called the city, they said he had not been transferred yet. That officer said no, he could be held indefinitely. That sounds crazy to me.

Does anyone know how long he can be held ?
I do not know the law in Georgia in regards to this. You are looking for the law in regards to extradition, it's usually up to 3 months.

Obviously, he cannot be held indefinitely. Never take legal advice from the police. goodluck.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
What if there is a jail holding people for nothing other than a warrant from another agency, that have been there for 5 years. There is a person sitting in that situation where I live, several for over a year and countless for 6 months. Most of them have not seen a court room or know what is going to be done next.
This thread is over 5 years old; if you have an issue please start your own thread. Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">