• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How long do warrants last until I can come back?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CdwJava

It might also depend on the agency. Where I used to work, radio traffic was so busy that a wants/warrants check might take 8+ minutes! On a typical traffic stop we'd start writing the cite while waiting for the return and when we got the return we were already done with the cite. It was not uncommon to either submit a cite to be voided, or to arrest someone for a warrant AFTER having him sign the citation (since it was already completed). Where I am now, we get a reply lickety-split!

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
... a wants/warrants check might take 8+ minutes!
I'm spoiled by mobile data computers and the immediate response. It takes longer to scroll through the multiple messages returned then it does to actually get a response.

CdwJava

I'm spoiled by mobile data computers and the immediate response. It takes longer to scroll through the multiple messages returned then it does to actually get a response.
I had found putting my nose into a computer screen is tremendously unsafe and thus, unwise ... so, I didn't do it.

I prefer keeping my eyes on the suspect and the car and allowing my dispatcher in a nice, safe, quiet office the opportunity to do the computer snooping for me.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I had found putting my nose into a computer screen is tremendously unsafe and thus, unwise ... so, I didn't do it.

I prefer keeping my eyes on the suspect and the car and allowing my dispatcher in a nice, safe, quiet office the opportunity to do the computer snooping for me.
My dispatchers tend to be terrible. I prefer to see the information myself. I don't bury my head in it by any means and we mostly work in pairs anyway so I tend to have a second set of eyes.

I find I spend more time writing the summons then looking at the screen. In either case I try to keep my head and eyes up as much as possible.

CdwJava

My dispatchers tend to be terrible. I prefer to see the information myself. I don't bury my head in it by any means and we mostly work in pairs anyway so I tend to have a second set of eyes.

I find I spend more time writing the summons then looking at the screen. In either case I try to keep my head and eyes up as much as possible.
Aside from the LAPD and graveyard CHP shifts, two man units tend to be the exception and not the rule out here. I don't even want to be sitting down when I am on a stopped vehicle, so using the computer is right out. My mantra with trainees is, "Put it in park and get the F out!" There's nowhere to go and few tactical options available when you are sitting in the seat of the car, so I don't.

CdwJava

I will definitely remember THAT one!
I had a trainee a few years back who would constantly slow and then stop and remain on the radio trying to put all the info out while the driver and occupants of the other car danced, fiddled, and even could have smoked a cigarette. So, I would yell at her, "Park and get the F--- out of the car!"

She has since told me that she remembered THAT lesson more than any other in field training, and to this day still gets out quick.

Apparently our local academies emphasized putting out all the info before getting out of the car and it seems to include a flippin' weather report!

I figure I have a portable radio ... I can finish putting the info out from my lapel mic if I have to, but I'm getting out of the car!

pbrmeasap

Advice for original poster from one to another

Ok What I might have done is Called the police in the city where the warrant was and "ask" them if you have a warrant for 20$ petty larcency. They will say yes or no. they might ask ya to come in, lol, your on vacation.

they might say it expired cause it was "civil"!!!!! i might have had a dui warrant first offense expire someplace.

ya might call the DA if you do have a warrant and explain your willingness to take a civil forfeiture non criminal conviction, or a "Dismissed but considered" if you ever do anything else type charge

youd be surprise the way money talks.

Also sometimes you just have to face the music.. 'strangers in the night, exchanging glances'

professorjpj

Really? Warrants NEVER EXPIRE?

Amazing.. I could kinda understand that for murder, robbery, etc, really major charges or violent offenses, but PETTY LARCENY? Talk about pettiness! If thats the case, I guess I'll have to live out west the rest of my life! Too bad, I miss the east coast often!

Proserpina

Amazing.. I could kinda understand that for murder, robbery, etc, really major charges or violent offenses, but PETTY LARCENY? Talk about pettiness! If thats the case, I guess I'll have to live out west the rest of my life! Too bad, I miss the east coast often!

Please, go back east.

CdwJava

What? You think that you should be rewarded for being a fugitive?

Wow! :eek:

pbrmeasap

Hey Poster

DUDE warrants expire trust me Im not a cop or proserpina.

Im telling you man, call them and see how much to settle?

Or just ask if there is a warrant for ya, thats what I did and the cop said

"Today is your lucky day it just EXPIRED 3 weeks ago"

let us know!

CdwJava

DUDE warrants expire trust me Im not a cop or proserpina.

Im telling you man, call them and see how much to settle?

Or just ask if there is a warrant for ya, thats what I did and the cop said

"Today is your lucky day it just EXPIRED 3 weeks ago"

let us know!
They do not "expire," they just may not be regularly renewed in some places. However, this lack of renewal does not mean the warrant has gone away, only that it has been removed from a national or state record database.

A traffic warrant might be able to be settled by paying a fine, but this is larceny, not speeding.

NellieBly

Keep in mind that you are probably in less trouble for the petty larceny and more trouble for dodging court.

Argue all you want with these nice people. The law is the law and they can't change it to be more to your liking.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">