• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How long do warrants last until I can come back?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

professorjpj

I used to stay in virginia, city of richmond, I ended up getting into trouble for petty larceny, I left the state after police charged me and told me to show up at court.. Its been 11 years now, and I'd like to move back to virginia.. I've had national police checks from nevada, and nothing has come up, so is it safe to move back there? How long does a warrant last? For example, if I moved back and had a police check, could they still lock me up after 11 years for petty larceny?

Last edited:

CdwJava

I used to stay in virginia, city of richmond, I ended up getting into trouble for petty larceny, I left the state after police charced me and told me to show up at court.. Its been 11 years now, and I'd like to move back to virginia.. I've had national police checks from nevada, and nothing has come up, so is it safe to move back there? How long does a warrant last? For example, if I moved back and had a police check, could they still lock me up after 11 years for petty larceny?
A warrant lasts forever. Yes, they could still lock you up.

There may well be the possibility that the court has not chosen to confirm the warrant in NCIC (a national database) but it almost certainly still exists in Virginia and in Richmond.

You are currently a fugitive. This can result in the denial of government assistance including welfare, loans, and even SSI, and can have the unpleasant side effect of resulting in unwanted police contacts and denial of good jobs.

It would be best to consult and attorney and work out a way to handle the matter so that you do not have to continue to look over your shoulder as a fugitive from justice.

professorjpj

Seriously? Forever?

Are you kidding? Even for something as minor as petty larceny AND over 11 years ago? Thats unfortunate.. Luckily, I have never had a "good" job, and never will, and I don't use benefits of any kind.. But I really wanted to move back, because its the only city I felt "at home" in.. I thought there was some limitations on OLD warrants and such?

CdwJava

Are you kidding? Even for something as minor as petty larceny AND over 11 years ago? Thats unfortunate..
That's what happens when you commit a crime and flee.

Unless the courts have withdrawn the warrant for whatever reason, it still exists.

You are mistaking a "statute of limitations" with a warrant. The SOL is the time that the state has to initiate a legal process against the defendant. They sought a warrant and thus initiated that process. Not to mention that you fled the state which puts a hold on the SOL. So, even if no warrant had been filed, you might still have been subject to legal process.

swalsh411

Nope. If warrants expire then people would just wait them out instead of taking care of them.

You may be thinking of statute of limitation laws which limit the amount of time you can be charged with a crime after it's alleged commission. Those have nothing to do with your situation.

professorjpj

bad news then..

Ah well, I guess there are 49 other states for me to choose from to live in, too bad I can't move back to virginia, it felt homey to me.. I presently stay in nevada which may be the unfriendliest and shallowest state in the nation.. I've had MULTIPLE police checks over the years, always by police, and NOTHING has come up, so I'm safe as long as I never go back to virginia I guess...

swalsh411

You can "guess" that all you want. There is no guarantee. A honorable person would take care of it.

You might also like to know that if any police detective happens to be reading this and doesn't care for your attitude, you have provided enough information for you to be found.

-Year of crime
-Type of Crime
-I bet your initial are "jpj"

Last edited:

professorjpj

Not bloody likely..

However, If they really feel like pursuing across the nation for a warrant for petty larceny(the theft was under 20$) they are MORE then welcome to try! However, I made a vow many many years ago that I would die before being locked up again.. For ANYTHING! And like I said, I've had MANY police checks, NATIONALLY, where they could have locked me up I'm sure, but nothing EVER comes up on record, so obviously its not worth going after me for out of state.. So I just have to find some other state then virginia to make my home in..

davew128

I guess being a professor doesn't automatically represent maturity and a willingness to deal with an old problem, accept the responsibility for such, and a desire to move forward with a clean slate.

professorjpj

HA! Clean slate?

I assure you, if jail is involved in any way, that will NEVER HAPPEN! I would prefer to shoot myself instead of being locked up again! Hell, one time, many years ago, I was convicted of trespassing, and was given 6 months for it! On christmas day! You call that "justice"? I was a homeless guy just looking for an abandoned building to sleep in so I wouldn't die of the cold on a park bench! And the judge gave me 6 months! Don't tell me about a 'clean slate", when you're a convicted guy, you NEVER have a "clean slate".. I will just have to find a better state then virginia that I can feel at home again...

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
How do you really know all of the warrant checks you have been subjected to have come back with nothing? How do you know warrant checks were even conducted? Very often people who are stopped assume they are checked for warrants when they may not be.

professorjpj

Yes, I've had many..

The usual procedure is I'm stopped(last time i was on a bicycle) questioned a bit, pockets checked, ID taken to the police car, and wait 15 minutes while they do a national check(I asked them how far it goes, they've always told me nationally), then let go because nothing comes up anywhere... Hell, last year I got a ticket for riding a bicycle without a headlight!

CdwJava

If VA does not want to extradite, then the cops in NV would not receive a "hit." if they did, they would ask the issuing jurisdiction for confirmation. if they refused to confirm the warrant (and agree to extradite) then you would be on your way.

So, either the warrant is not entered into NCIC so as to be retrieved by inquiries this far west (most likely), or, they receive a hit but the issuing agency does not confirm it (least likely).

Employers can find it, though, as can anyone else who does a deep enough search. Even the police could, but the cops on the side of the road are not interested in much more than whether they can hook you right then and there.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Well 15 minutes is way too long for a simple warrant check.

Might be closer to this scenario... I stop you, run a check. My dispatcher says there's a hit out of VA. Dispatcher calls the originating agency to confirm the warrant and is told they won't extradite from so far away. I give you your ticket and say goodbye, make sure you show up in court.

Don't assume you know what's going on out of your hearing range.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">