• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How long does a Felony stay on your record in Michiagn?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

break_bread

Michigan.

I am now 25, i was convicted of a Felony when i was 17. I was wondering if/when the Felony will be dropped, and to what extent. Meaning just to public record or will authorities still know i was convicted of a felony in the past. Thank you in advance for any help.

justalayman

a criminal record is forever. Depending on what it is and if you have any other crimes on your record, you may be eligible to have it expunged. Other than that, a Governor's pardon is the only option I am aware of.

break_bread

a criminal record is forever. Depending on what it is and if you have any other crimes on your record, you may be eligible to have it expunged. Other than that, a Governor's pardon is the only option I am aware of.
okay...i guess the better question would be where/what/who do i contact to get a full run-down of my record?

dave33

Michigan.

I am now 25, i was convicted of a Felony when i was 17. I was wondering if/when the Felony will be dropped, and to what extent. Meaning just to public record or will authorities still know i was convicted of a felony in the past. Thank you in advance for any help.
I am not familiar with Michigan. You were convicted as an adult?

break_bread

I am not familiar with Michigan. You were convicted as an adult?
Yes...grand larceny...i always thought after 7 years a Felony would drop off your record. Which would allow me too open carry, which is the whole reason for my original question.

justalayman

Uh, no. That 7 year thing is for your credit history. Criminal records are forever.

I suppose I should tell you that although the felony does not drop off your record, depending on what the crime was, the right to possess a firearm may be granted by statute.

do you know the actual law you were convicted of. It would have an MCL before a serious of numbers and probably a letter or two.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

Yes...grand larceny...i always thought after 7 years a Felony would drop off your record. Which would allow me too open carry, which is the whole reason for my original question.
You thought wrong. A criminal record, let alone a felony record, is not a credit history. It will stay on your record forever and ever (Father Guido says the "and ever" is redundant).
A felony record is not eligible for sealing.

As for guns, Michigan allows your gun rights to be automatically restored once you complete your term of prison and parole/probation (except for certain specified crimes of violence, et al).

justalayman

You thought wrong. A criminal record, let alone a felony record, is not a credit history. It will stay on your record forever and ever (Father Guido says the "and ever" is redundant).
A felony record is not eligible for sealing.

As for guns, Michigan allows your gun rights to be automatically restored once you complete your term of prison and parole/probation (except for certain specified crimes of violence, et al).
should I tell him that even though his state rights to own a gun may be restored at some time, the federal law still does not allow possession unless the crime is expunged or pardoned?

break_bread

Uh, no. That 7 year thing is for your credit history. Criminal records are forever.

I suppose I should tell you that although the felony does not drop off your record, depending on what the crime was, the right to possess a firearm may be granted by statute.

do you know the actual law you were convicted of. It would have an MCL before a serious of numbers and probably a letter or two.
No i have no paperwork (storage)...i know it was Grand Larceny; Auto (different from Grand Theft Auto)...but i would love to be able to find out before Monday if at all possible, the link suggested atop was no help. Unless i was doing something wrong. I have completed all probation.

break_bread

should I tell him that even though his state rights to own a gun may be restored at some time, the federal law still does not allow possession unless the crime is expunged or pardoned?
Lol...nah. Also, it may have been expunged...bad memory. But yea, i understand it would be hard to help without all the information.

Last edited:

justalayman

Lol...nah.
Yep. The only way a felon can every own a gun that falls under federal rules is if the record is expunged or the person is pardoned.

Now, contrary to what flyingron said, I'm pretty sure MI does allow sealing (actually it is called "setting aside") a record even for certain felonies. I do not know if that qualifies as what the feds require for expungement though.

davew128

Now, contrary to what flyingron said, I'm pretty sure MI does allow sealing (actually it is called "setting aside") a record even for certain felonies. I do not know if that qualifies as what the feds require for expungement though.
It does. IIRC the gun control act language specifically refers to sealing in the same sentence as pardon and expungement.

break_bread

Yep. The only way a felon can every own a gun that falls under federal rules is if the record is expunged or the person is pardoned.

Having federal law trump/contridict state law is absurd...this is why im Liberterian, and pushing the movement full-force.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">