+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: How long does a Felony stay on your record in Michiagn?

  1. #1
    break_bread is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    18

    How long does a Felony stay on your record in Michiagn?

    Michigan.

    I am now 25, i was convicted of a Felony when i was 17. I was wondering if/when the Felony will be dropped, and to what extent. Meaning just to public record or will authorities still know i was convicted of a felony in the past. Thank you in advance for any help.
  2. #2
    justalayman is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    in the ether
    Posts
    33,884
    a criminal record is forever. Depending on what it is and if you have any other crimes on your record, you may be eligible to have it expunged. Other than that, a Governor's pardon is the only option I am aware of.
  3. #3
    break_bread is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by justalayman View Post
    a criminal record is forever. Depending on what it is and if you have any other crimes on your record, you may be eligible to have it expunged. Other than that, a Governor's pardon is the only option I am aware of.
    okay...i guess the better question would be where/what/who do i contact to get a full run-down of my record?
  4. #4
    justalayman is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    in the ether
    Posts
    33,884
    start here:


    http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,4643,7-123-1589_1878_8311---,00.html
  5. #5
    dave33 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    1,711
    Quote Originally Posted by break_bread View Post
    Michigan.

    I am now 25, i was convicted of a Felony when i was 17. I was wondering if/when the Felony will be dropped, and to what extent. Meaning just to public record or will authorities still know i was convicted of a felony in the past. Thank you in advance for any help.
    I am not familiar with Michigan. You were convicted as an adult?
  6. #6
    justalayman is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    in the ether
    Posts
    33,884
    Quote Originally Posted by dave33 View Post
    I am not familiar with Michigan.
    It's the state that looks like a big mitten with water on 3 sides and Indiana and Ohio on the other side. Then we have the UP which is attached to Wisconsin.
  7. #7
    break_bread is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by dave33 View Post
    I am not familiar with Michigan. You were convicted as an adult?
    Yes...grand larceny...i always thought after 7 years a Felony would drop off your record. Which would allow me too open carry, which is the whole reason for my original question.
  8. #8
    justalayman is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    in the ether
    Posts
    33,884
    Uh, no. That 7 year thing is for your credit history. Criminal records are forever.

    I suppose I should tell you that although the felony does not drop off your record, depending on what the crime was, the right to possess a firearm may be granted by statute.

    do you know the actual law you were convicted of. It would have an MCL before a serious of numbers and probably a letter or two.
    Last edited by justalayman; 06-29-2012 at 10:15 PM.
  9. #9
    FlyingRon is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    16,384
    Quote Originally Posted by break_bread View Post
    Yes...grand larceny...i always thought after 7 years a Felony would drop off your record. Which would allow me too open carry, which is the whole reason for my original question.
    You thought wrong. A criminal record, let alone a felony record, is not a credit history. It will stay on your record forever and ever (Father Guido says the "and ever" is redundant).
    A felony record is not eligible for sealing.

    As for guns, Michigan allows your gun rights to be automatically restored once you complete your term of prison and parole/probation (except for certain specified crimes of violence, et al).
  10. #10
    justalayman is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    in the ether
    Posts
    33,884
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    You thought wrong. A criminal record, let alone a felony record, is not a credit history. It will stay on your record forever and ever (Father Guido says the "and ever" is redundant).
    A felony record is not eligible for sealing.

    As for guns, Michigan allows your gun rights to be automatically restored once you complete your term of prison and parole/probation (except for certain specified crimes of violence, et al).
    should I tell him that even though his state rights to own a gun may be restored at some time, the federal law still does not allow possession unless the crime is expunged or pardoned?
  11. #11
    break_bread is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by justalayman View Post
    Uh, no. That 7 year thing is for your credit history. Criminal records are forever.

    I suppose I should tell you that although the felony does not drop off your record, depending on what the crime was, the right to possess a firearm may be granted by statute.

    do you know the actual law you were convicted of. It would have an MCL before a serious of numbers and probably a letter or two.
    No i have no paperwork (storage)...i know it was Grand Larceny; Auto (different from Grand Theft Auto)...but i would love to be able to find out before Monday if at all possible, the link suggested atop was no help. Unless i was doing something wrong. I have completed all probation.
  12. #12
    break_bread is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by justalayman View Post
    should I tell him that even though his state rights to own a gun may be restored at some time, the federal law still does not allow possession unless the crime is expunged or pardoned?
    Lol...nah. Also, it may have been expunged...bad memory. But yea, i understand it would be hard to help without all the information.
    Last edited by break_bread; 06-29-2012 at 10:35 PM.
  13. #13
    justalayman is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    in the ether
    Posts
    33,884
    Quote Originally Posted by break_bread View Post
    Lol...nah.
    Yep. The only way a felon can every own a gun that falls under federal rules is if the record is expunged or the person is pardoned.



    Now, contrary to what flyingron said, I'm pretty sure MI does allow sealing (actually it is called "setting aside") a record even for certain felonies. I do not know if that qualifies as what the feds require for expungement though.
  14. #14
    davew128 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    4,888
    Quote Originally Posted by justalayman View Post
    Now, contrary to what flyingron said, I'm pretty sure MI does allow sealing (actually it is called "setting aside") a record even for certain felonies. I do not know if that qualifies as what the feds require for expungement though.
    It does. IIRC the gun control act language specifically refers to sealing in the same sentence as pardon and expungement.
    justalayman likes this.
  15. #15
    break_bread is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by justalayman View Post
    Yep. The only way a felon can every own a gun that falls under federal rules is if the record is expunged or the person is pardoned.



    Now, contrary to what flyingron said, I'm pretty sure MI does allow sealing (actually it is called "setting aside") a record even for certain felonies. I do not know if that qualifies as what the feds require for expungement though.

    Having federal law trump/contridict state law is absurd...this is why im Liberterian, and pushing the movement full-force.

Similar Threads

  1. How long does Misdemeanor stay on record
    By maverick1963 in forum Arrests, Searches, Warrants & Procedure
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-19-2012, 10:12 PM
  2. how long does my OUI stay on my record
    By zephyrzinthrup in forum Drunk Driving / DUI / DWI
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-20-2009, 12:52 PM
  3. How long does an mip stay on record
    By heinlein0311 in forum Drunk Driving / DUI / DWI
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-21-2004, 10:17 PM
  4. how long does a DWI stay on your record?
    By overseas2004 in forum Drunk Driving / DUI / DWI
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-08-2004, 03:39 PM
  5. how long does ch13 stay on record?
    By swtxhouston in forum Consumer Bankruptcy
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-19-2003, 09:10 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

© 1995-2012 Advice Company, All Rights Reserved

FreeAdvice® has been providing millions of consumers with outstanding advice, free, since 1995. While not a substitute for personal advice from a licensed professional, it is available AS IS, subject to our Disclaimer and Terms & Conditions Of Use.