• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How long does PD have to answer a complaint?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alphawav

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Myself and another party personally delivered separate complaints to a Chief of Police.

How long does a PD have to answer a complaint. We have heard nothing from nobody. It's been over 4 months?

Additionally, is there any statue of limitations on complaints and lawsuits in CA?

Thank You. Best,

FlyingRon

They don't ever have to answer a complaint.
Statute of limitations doesn't have any meaning with respect to "complaints".
A lawsuit statute of limitation would depend on just what sort of suit you're bringing.

CdwJava

The agency has a one year SOL in which it must close an investigation, but there is no law that requires them to conduct an investigation upon your complaint.

That being said, there is a law that requires CA law enforcement to have a policy concerning personnel complaints and how to respond to them.

Have you tried calling the agency to find out where things stand?

alphawav

The agency has a one year SOL in which it must close an investigation, but there is no law that requires them to conduct an investigation upon your complaint.

That being said, there is a law that requires CA law enforcement to have a policy concerning personnel complaints and how to respond to them.

Have you tried calling the agency to find out where things stand?
No, I will call them or pass by.

Interesting, there is no law to that requires them to investigate the complaint......so I guess it could just ... not be investigated... how convenient.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

Interesting, there is no law to that requires them to investigate the complaint......so I guess it could just ... not be investigated... how convenient.
Well, you're assuming the other party is guilty of something, aren't you?

CdwJava

State law requires them to accept the complaint and to have a policy on how to address them. The law does not require them to bog down investigators on every complaint. Many complaints can be disposed of administratively, others might involve a more in depth review. Model policies generally include a process to notify the complaining party of the status of the complaint including who is investigating it, and then later of the general outcome (but not the specifics of any penalties).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">