• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How long does it take the DA office to drop charges if they know they arrested the w

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

changeinlife

New Jersey

How long does it take the DA office to drop charges if they know they arrested the wrong guy ? I was arrested 9 months ago, I have a clean record , never in trouble.

I AM INNOCENT AND NEVER DID THE CRIME. they totally have the wrong person and have no idea what brought them to my door in the first place while they where raiding 3 houses on my block. ( WI-FI CRIME )

The prosecutor has given us the run around for 9 months, and finally said they passed it off to the DA office for review.If i am correct the d.a is the one that drops charges in NJ , Do they move faster then the prosecutor?

How long does the DA in NJ take to drop charges on someone if they finally figured out they arrested the wrong person ?

They already stated they have no questions for me, and dont even know what to ask.

Last edited:

dave33

New Jersey

How long does it take the DA office to drop charges if they know they arrested the wrong guy ? I was arrested 9 months ago, I have a clean record , never in trouble.

I AM INNOCENT AND NEVER DID THE CRIME. they totally have the wrong person and have no idea what brought them to my door in the first place while they where raiding 3 houses on my block. ( WI-FI CRIME )

The prosecutor has given us the run around for 9 months, and finally said they passed it off to the DA office for review.If i am correct the d.a is the one that drops charges in NJ , Do they move faster then the prosecutor?

How long does the DA in NJ take to drop charges on someone if they finally figured out they arrested the wrong person ?

They already stated they have no questions for me, and dont even know what to ask.

The d.a. and the prosecutor are the same person, or at least work in the same office.
As far as dropping the charges, if that is what they are going to do, will almost certainly not be that easy.I have no idea about the facts of this case, but it is very rare that the state says "oops, sorry wrong guy". Even if that is the case, that will expose them to to much liability or at least embarrassment. This could potentially drag on for a very long time.
You should retain an attorney and have him put pressure on the state. Without an attorney to represent you, you can be pushed around for quite a while. goodluck.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It takes as long as it takes. There is no mandated time. Anyone with the brain cells God gave the average billygoat should be able to figure out why not.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I have a clean record , never in trouble.
Irrelevant.

The DA IS the prosecutor. Who is "us"?

How do you know they have a reason to drop the charges?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
The d.a. and the prosecutor are the same person, or at least work in the same office.
District attorneys ARE prosecutors - that's what they do for a living.

Even if that is the case, that will expose them to to much liability or at least embarrassment.
You can't say that because you have no clue what happened here. Probable cause does not mean the person committed the offense. People are acquitted at trials all the time - that doesn't mean there is any "liability". You don't know what probable cause existed for the arrest and chances are the OP doesn't either.

https://forum.freeadvice.com/arrests-searches-warrants-procedure-26/multiple-search-warrants-wrongfull-arrest-cybercrime-question-i-didnt-do-582176.html
Very interesting. It seems as though one party will be prosecuted and the other party may have a civil rights lawsuit. Unless, of course, they are both into CP.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">