• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How Long until I'm Contacted?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Spartyon18

About two months ago I was accused of stealing a Television that cost about $1000 from a weight room in a school. The only evidence that the school has is that I'm on video entering the weight room, and leaving out the emergency exit, where there were no video cameras. The television was never found.

They filed a police report, with my name in it, and reported the incident to their insurance company, who has replaced the television.

My question is, how long does it usually take to be contacted by the police? I did not take the television, but I would like to know when I can feel safe that the police won't show up at my house or work to arrest me or something.

sandyclaus

About two months ago I was accused of stealing a Television that cost about $1000 from a weight room in a school. The only evidence that the school has is that I'm on video entering the weight room, and leaving out the emergency exit, where there were no video cameras. The television was never found.

They filed a police report, with my name in it, and reported the incident to their insurance company, who has replaced the television.

My question is, how long does it usually take to be contacted by the police? I did not take the television, but I would like to know when I can feel safe that the police won't show up at my house or work to arrest me or something.
US Law ONLY (since you decided not to provide us with the state, as requested when you started the thread).

And the answer to your question is anytime before the statute of limitations for that particular offense runs out. Could be a year, could be a few years.

Spartyon18

US Law ONLY (since you decided not to provide us with the state, as requested when you started the thread).

And the answer to your question is anytime before the statute of limitations for that particular offense runs out. Could be a year, could be a few years.
This was my first post on this site so I apologize for that. I'm located in Michigan. I understand the statute of limitations, I'm just curious about on average how long it would take to be contacted. Should I feel safe that it's been two months, can I get a general time frame for a situation like this?

Thanks

This was my first post on this site so I apologize for that. I'm located in Michigan. I understand the statute of limitations, I'm just curious about on average how long it would take to be contacted. Should I feel safe that it's been two months, can I get a general time frame for a situation like this?

Thanks
the longer you go without being charged the better off you are, if they can not prove you stole the TV then I doubt you will be charged but dumber things have happened. Usually with retail theft they have to have undeniable evidence that you took it without that it is circumstantial and for that amount of money probably not worth the risk of putting you on trail for it.

Good Luck, you will be sweating it out until you know for sure.

Spartyon18

the longer you go without being charged the better off you are, if they can not prove you stole the TV then I doubt you will be charged but dumber things have happened. Usually with retail theft they have to have undeniable evidence that you took it without that it is circumstantial and for that amount of money probably not worth the risk of putting you on trail for it.

Good Luck, you will be sweating it out until you know for sure.
So is two months a pretty substantial amount of time? I know that every situation is different, but at what point can I start to feel comfortable and put this behind me? Btw, this wasn't retail theft, it was taken out of a weight room in a university.

So is two months a pretty substantial amount of time? I know that every situation is different, but at what point can I start to feel comfortable and put this behind me? Btw, this wasn't retail theft, it was taken out of a weight room in a university.
What is the statute of limitations? if a year like has been stated then the last day of the date on the police report, one year from now. Then you might can breath better it is up to the prosecutor whether or not to prosecute you.

swalsh411

If contacted by the police, say nothing other than "I will not answer any questions without an attorney present". Whatever they tell you to get you to talk, don't buy it. They may say they just need a statement to close the case. They may say they know you didn't do it but just need some information. Don't believe it.

You may be thinking "if I don't cooperate then they will think I'm guilty" when the fact of the matter is that if they are coming to talk to you, they already think you are guilty.

If contacted by the police, say nothing other than "I will not answer any questions without an attorney present". Whatever they tell you to get you to talk, don't buy it. They may say they just need a statement to close the case. They may say they know you didn't do it but just need some information. Don't believe it.

You may be thinking "if I don't cooperate then they will think I'm guilty" when the fact of the matter is that if they are coming to talk to you, they already think you are guilty.
this is good advice, they will seek the easiest person to blame it on and build the case around. Right now that is you.

Like if I could figure out were it went.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">