• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how mad do judges get?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

starz2

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? KY. Hi, I'm 15 and I don't know much about legal stuff. My older brother, he's 19, got in trouble a while back for driving with no license and for having weed and pipe and resisting. He got 45 days for some of it but only had to do 3 weekends. And he was supposed to do a drug class, and he stopped going, or he was going to have to do 30 days. So he got arrested the other week and he's still in jail because turns out he was supposed to go to court twice last month and he didn't, and he got charged with alcohol possession too. He also hasn't done community service or been paying fines, he ain't done nothin he was supposed to.
So I'm wondering what's going to happen to him now cos I'm worried for my mom. Will he maybe have to do 45 days now or maybe 75 days? Can he get in even more trouble or get more jail for not going to court or doing anything the judge said to do? He's not the worst person in the world, he's just kind of dumb sometimes and never does anything he gets told to. Thanks.

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? KY. Hi, I'm 15 and I don't know much about legal stuff. My older brother, he's 19, got in trouble a while back for driving with no license and for having weed and pipe and resisting. He got 45 days for some of it but only had to do 3 weekends. And he was supposed to do a drug class, and he stopped going, or he was going to have to do 30 days. So he got arrested the other week and he's still in jail because turns out he was supposed to go to court twice last month and he didn't, and he got charged with alcohol possession too. He also hasn't done community service or been paying fines, he ain't done nothin he was supposed to.
So I'm wondering what's going to happen to him now cos I'm worried for my mom. Will he maybe have to do 45 days now or maybe 75 days? Can he get in even more trouble or get more jail for not going to court or doing anything the judge said to do? He's not the worst person in the world, he's just kind of dumb sometimes and never does anything he gets told to. Thanks.
Your big brother is an idiot. The judge gave him an easier sentence in the hopes he would do his time and learn his lesson. Clearly, your brother thinks he knows what's best and will do as he pleases. Defying authority is NOT a good thing to do, especially when that authority is a judge that holds your future in his hands.

I can't say for sure what he faces, because I don't know all the charges. What I can tell you is that he's probably looking at quite a bit more jail time - since while he's in jail, the court system gets to control his actions instead of him just ignoring what he's told to do.

For one thing, tell your mom to stop worrying. Your brother is an adult. He's decided to screw up his own future and his present way of living by not complying with the court's orders. There isn't a thing she can do about it now - and quite frankly, she needs to let him stand up and take full responsibility for his actions and inactions, and learn that the choices he makes will come with consequences he may not like.

Your brother will either take a good, hard look at his life and straighten up after the judge is done with him, or he will continue to do this for the rest of his life. Either way, your mom has done all she can and should do for him. The rest is up to him.

starz2

Your big brother is an idiot. The judge gave him an easier sentence in the hopes he would do his time and learn his lesson. Clearly, your brother thinks he knows what's best and will do as he pleases. Defying authority is NOT a good thing to do, especially when that authority is a judge that holds your future in his hands.

I can't say for sure what he faces, because I don't know all the charges. What I can tell you is that he's probably looking at quite a bit more jail time - since while he's in jail, the court system gets to control his actions instead of him just ignoring what he's told to do.

For one thing, tell your mom to stop worrying. Your brother is an adult. He's decided to screw up his own future and his present way of living by not complying with the court's orders. There isn't a thing she can do about it now - and quite frankly, she needs to let him stand up and take full responsibility for his actions and inactions, and learn that the choices he makes will come with consequences he may not like.

Your brother will either take a good, hard look at his life and straighten up after the judge is done with him, or he will continue to do this for the rest of his life. Either way, your mom has done all she can and should do for him. The rest is up to him.
yeah he is stoopid. You think he's looking at 'quite a bit more jail time' - you think he can get more than the 75 days he already got? It's his first adult stuff but he had a bunch of juvie stuff - does that matter to the judge to?. I don't think my mom can stop worrying.

Proserpina

He's in jail.

If he's in jail, he should be speaking to his attorney.

Sweety I know you're worried about your Mom and your brother. But honestly this isn't your issue. You shouldn't have to deal with this.

Let either Mom sign up herself, or have your brother deal with his own issues - preferably the latter.

Proserpina

I'm not trying to be disrespectful, but yeah, that's easy to say.
It's hard to just wait.

It's easy to say because it's the legal reality.

Nobody is doubting that you're concerned about your sibling. But that doesn't change anything.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">