• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to obtain evidence used in previous trial

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ahtjrob

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

30 years ago I was involved in a fatal auto accident involving myself (the driver) and a teenager bicycle. I was charged with Vehicular Manslaughter, had a trial before a judge and was aquitted. I was recently contacted by the brother of the boy who was riding the bike. The brother was 11 years old at the time of the accident. The brother wanted to meet with me and discuss the accident, how it happened, how it affected me, etc. He said he had many things over the years from different sources and wanted to, I guess, get some closure in his mind, finally. I did meet with him at my home. We talked for three hours. It actually went well, and i was happy, after 30 years, to finally have a chance to speak with a family memeber of the boy. He brought with him evidence from the trial: Police report, photos of the scene, witness statements, etc. Someof this stuff looked ike the originals. The witness staements looked original, the photos were gossy, etc.. How was he able to get his hands on this stuff?

jiggy78

"He asked" is the most likely answer. There is no law that says the police cannot give family evidence used at trial once the case is resolved.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">