• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how to obtain video recordings from HOA?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

joejohn

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

here is the basic story. I live in an apartment complex. My neighbor is claiming I did something that I didn't do. One night I am just sitting in my house, minding my own business, when cops show up at my door to question me about "what happened earlier today"
They say the neighbor is claiming I did something and they want to arrest me. The only problem is, I have no clue what he is talking about. none. What he claims never happened.

The neighbor was also there and he was clearly intoxicated. And I really think he has some kind of a mental problem and he just imagines things. but the cops kept taking his side.

I need to get video footage from the HOA showing such thing never happened. According to my past experiences, the HOA is run by a bunch of scumbags and incompetent people and they probably will ignore my request. I am sure you know how corrupt all HOAs are.

as a homeowner, am I legally entitled to the video footage? How can I obtain them?

Last edited:

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
The neighbor was also there and he was clearly intoxicated. And I really think he has some kind of a mental problem and he just imagines things. but the cops kept taking his side.
Don't assume that. Could be they were just trying to humor him.

When someone in that situation makes a complaint, even though they appear intoxicated, their issue just can't be blown off or the officers could get into some trouble. They go through their investigation and take action where appropriate.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

... as a homeowner, am I legally entitled to the video footage? How can I obtain them?
You can get a court order (a subpoena) which orders the HOA to produce the video footage (if it is still available and if they will not produce it on request). You need to be able to support to the court your request for the subpoena. There would be no need for video "evidence" if the police complaint does not result in an arrest or charges, against which you need to defend.

I agree with HighwayMan. The police have to investigate all complaints to determine if there is merit to the complaint or not. If the man was clearly intoxicated, the police will have noted this.

CdwJava

Of course, in order to get the subpoena, he will have to commence a court action against the HOA, the neighbor, or someone. No court action, no subpoena.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">