• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to release a "hold" on someone already in jail

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

afront

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Calif.

The subject line says prison, but he's actually in jail. Sorry doesn't look I can change it.

My brother is in an LA county jail for parole violation. He was supposed to be paying a fine that we/he had no knowledge of. He was sentenced for 120 days, but is getting out in 30. He has a hold placed on him when he's released for 2 traffic violations from 1994 that have "magically" appeared in San Bernardino County. He had gone through some other minor court problems in San Berdo everyone thought that everything was cleared up. The violations nevered showed up until now. One is a driving at night w/o lights, Court Civil Assessment, and Failure to appear (that all is listed as Misder) and the other is a Registration required, failure to appear, and court civil assessment (that all is listed under a case number that starts with the letter "U" and we are not sure what that means).

I've been reading about having him file a CDC-643, letting that run its course and hoping that will remove the Hold.

We were wondering what options we might have on helping him out.

Thank you for any advice you can provide.

Last edited:

CourtClerk

CDC-643 is a California Department of Corrections form... useless in your brother's case because CDC doesn't have him and won't get him.

Someone from the LA County Jail needs to contact San Bernardino to see if they want him (probably not). Other than that, he needs to get the judge in the LA County court to address the issue. They may be able to cite him out of LA County.

afront

Thanks for the help. So the "1381" (643 filing) is only if he's in the Calif prison system?

I would like for him to have an attorney to help him out with this, but can't he can't afford one. He has a public defender, but trying to get in touch with him is like pulling teeth. I'm sure the poor guy is swamped.

CourtClerk

Thanks for the help. So the "1381" (643 filing) is only if he's in the Calif prison system?

I would like for him to have an attorney to help him out with this, but can't he can't afford one. He has a public defender, but trying to get in touch with him is like pulling teeth. I'm sure the poor guy is swamped.
The Public Defender shouldn't be talking to you anyway. Let your brother get in contact with him.

afront

That would be the best route, but unfortunately my brother is 52 and his faculties are what they should be due to a long history with drugs. He's never hurt anyone, just himself.

I am trying to as much of the leg work as possible. Is there a decent communications system set up for my brother to get in touch with his PD? I know these questions are probably stupid, but I appreciate all the information I can get to learn the system.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">