• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Husband is in jail because of false accusation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chamichams

What is the name of your state? San Diego, California

Hi everyone,
I would just like to get everyone's opinion on this. First of, my husband is in jail and was arrested for vehicle theft. The owner of the dealership of whom he is working for reported that the car was stolen. It is false because he would not be able to access the keys to the car if he wasn't given the keys. He has been using that car for a week because the car he bought from that same dealership broke down. He talked to the owner into lending him one of his cars and he said yes. He is still on probation for a felony he did and this will certainly affect his case. I am planning on getting witnesses because the mechanics in the dealership know that he was allowed to borrow the car. I am not sure if why the owner of the dealership is doing this but my husband says that the owner owes him money for his services and he hasn't paid him. also he has not been helping him out since he isn't paying him. he now has a full time job somewhere else.
Can anyone tell me what the best thing for me to do? should i just get witnesses? or ask the owner of the dealership to drop the case because he can get into trouble for false accusation once it is proven in court. I am so down right now because my husband has been trying to change his life for the better but people can't leave him alone and keeps putting him down. I am just trying to stay strong and hope for the best.What is the name of your state?

CdwJava

chamicams said:
He has been using that car for a week because the car he bought from that same dealership broke down. He talked to the owner into lending him one of his cars and he said yes.
Then he needs to get the owner of the dealership to tell this to the police. Why isn't the owner doing so?

He is still on probation for a felony he did and this will certainly affect his case.
That and the fact that his prior probation will likely be revoked and he will have to serve some more time on the prior offense.

I am not sure if why the owner of the dealership is doing this but my husband says that the owner owes him money for his services and he hasn't paid him. also he has not been helping him out since he isn't paying him. he now has a full time job somewhere else.
Oops! I think I see the problem! Borrowing the dealership's car was probably okay when he was an employee ... but NOW he is NOT an employee, and it is likely that he was expected to return the car. When he failed to do so they apparently reported it as stolen.

Can anyone tell me what the best thing for me to do?
Besides helping locate and pay for an attorney there really is nothing you should be doing.

should i just get witnesses? or ask the owner of the dealership to drop the case because he can get into trouble for false accusation once it is proven in court.
Neither. The more you meddle, the more you are likely to muck up the defense case. Let his attorney give direction.

- Carl

chamichams

Thanks Carl! I haven't done anything and I am waiting for him to talk to his attorney. Yah that part of going to people and asking to be witnesses was stressing me out. He just had his arraigment and his next hearing will be on 8/18. So I guess I just have to wait. My husband is just worried that with him being in jail he can't prove his innocence and I guess he wants me to do something about it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">