• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I am robbed at gunpoint, and arrested

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

eeckhouse

What is the name of your state? California

Hi. I called 911 after I was the victim of an armed robbery, and told the police everything that happened. I was really scared, and freaking out, and had been hit, and just wanted the cops to make it better.

I told them everything I had seen. It was 3 am, and I was in bed, and so I saw everything that the one robber was doing while he was in the bedroom. Basically he took the stuff off the top of my dresser: 2 dvd players, a vcr and my jewelry box. And, I showed them the phone that the robber ripped out of my hand and the wall when I called 911 and hit me upside the head with it. The guy had actually ripped the handset cord in two, and I guess he took the handset with him.

Next thing I know, the cops are telling me to come clean with them ... and talk about the drugs. What happened is they had opened a drawer in the bedroom dresser that contained empty-used baggies (crystal meth) . I don't know how many, but more than 10-15. I never even thought about that when I called 911, because I was just assaulted and scared to death. Anyway, I know they never asked me if they could look inside ANYTHING. And, I know that I never said "yes" to them going through my dresser. I also know there was nothing but "traces" of drugs on those baggies.

Once they found the drugs, I became the bad guy, and I was arrested, booked, and spent the next 5 days in jail. What I want to know is if the cops had the right to search inside that dresser. I KNOW they never asked me. I don't know why he opened the drawers in the first place.

I've got more questions about other stuff the cops should've doe and didn't, and how I was treated, but for now, I would appreciate any help on the illegal search. My new jail "friends all told me it was, and I have no idea.

I go back to court on Dec. 23 for the prelim.

Thanks a lot. I really appreciate any help you can give. I've never been arrested or gone through anything like this in my life.

Betty
(btw, I'm a 46 year old woman)

H

hexeliebe

I've got more questions about other stuff the cops should've doe and didn't, and how I was treated, but for now, I would appreciate any help on the illegal search. My new jail "friends all told me it was, and I have no idea.
If you want to take advise on the law from people in jail then why don't you go have heart surgery at your local garage.

The search was perfectly legal. It was incident to a crime.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">