• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I was arrested on a Qchex Scam

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gothic Girl

What is the name of your state? California

On Wednesday, I received a check in the mail for $3000 from a company called Infinity Micro Computers Inc. There was a stub attached that said it was issued by QCHEX. I had thought that since I fill out a lot of sweepstakes, and for free stuff on the internet, that I had won a prize. So I went to the bank it was drawn upon to cash it on Thursday, and next thing I know I'm being arrested for trying to cash a stolen check. I did not know the check was stolen or fraudulent in any way. Everything looked okay to me. I am now being charged with 2 counts of making a fictitional check, and 1 count of burglary. I have never been in trouble before for more than a speeding ticket, and I don't know what to do. I am currently out on $30,000 bail.

I am beginning to believe that I am a victim of a scam. A couple months ago, I listed a rare action figure I have for sale on Craigslist. I received an email saying:
i have seen the price and its ok by me then i will issue a poster money order to you.meanwhlie i will also include $300 on the payment so you should expect a poster money order of $2800 . the excess is for my shipper that will be coming for pick up.the funds will be used for the shipping of the {Rare Dumbledore Action Figure}i'll imploy you to wire the balance via western union money transfer to my shipper as soon as you RECEIVE the poster money order .My SHIPPER will come for pick up on a specicified date that will be convenient for you.i hope i can count on you for my balance I ALSO WANT THIS TO BASE ON TRUST CAN I TRUST YOU?... Pls i need ur contact info,such as name in full,adress,ur city ur state ur zipcode ur phone#both cell and home.pls email me asap with all details.
Regards,sen........
n.b, if you feel like contacting me here is my phone contact +447031848143
I was excited that I had sold my action figure, so I sent the guy my info, thinking he would be sending me a check or money order. It is obvious that he is foreign, so I thought he had made a mistake with the amount of the action figure (which was only $150). So I reminded the guy of the amount and I figured that he if there really was anything left over after I shipped the item to him, I would send that to him.

Does anyone have any advice for me? I don't know what to do. Should I tell the cops about this email? Or will they use this against me, accusing me of being an accomplice? Do I try to plea bargain? Or do I take this to jury trial since I really believe that I'm an innocent victim of a scam?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Veronica1228

Gothic Girl said:
What is the name of your state? California

On Wednesday, I received a check in the mail for $3000 from a company called Infinity Micro Computers Inc. There was a stub attached that said it was issued by QCHEX. I had thought that since I fill out a lot of sweepstakes, and for free stuff on the internet, that I had won a prize. So I went to the bank it was drawn upon to cash it on Thursday, and next thing I know I'm being arrested for trying to cash a stolen check. I did not know the check was stolen or fraudulent in any way. Everything looked okay to me. I am now being charged with 2 counts of making a fictitional check, and 1 count of burglary. I have never been in trouble before for more than a speeding ticket, and I don't know what to do. I am currently out on $30,000 bail.

I am beginning to believe that I am a victim of a scam. A couple months ago, I listed a rare action figure I have for sale on Craigslist. I received an email saying:

I was excited that I had sold my action figure, so I sent the guy my info, thinking he would be sending me a check or money order. It is obvious that he is foreign, so I thought he had made a mistake with the amount of the action figure (which was only $150). So I reminded the guy of the amount and I figured that he if there really was anything left over after I shipped the item to him, I would send that to him.

Does anyone have any advice for me? I don't know what to do. Should I tell the cops about this email? Or will they use this against me, accusing me of being an accomplice? Do I try to plea bargain? Or do I take this to jury trial since I really believe that I'm an innocent victim of a scam?

Thanks in advance.
I think you should show the email to the police, but I also think you should hire an attorney because these are serious charges.

By the way, never accept a check from Qchex. I received the following email at work a few months ago.

Beware of Checks from Qchex . The Wisconsin Better Business Bureau iswarning member businesses to be skeptical of accepting checks from Qchex, a web-based check writing service that has become a favorite of check-forgers. Law enforcement officers around the country are investigating thousands of check forging schemes that all lead back to the same place - Qchex, a California company that prints and mails checks for a small fee. Anyone in the world can email Qchex requesting a check be printed and mailed on his or her behalf. All that is required are bank account and routing numbers and a legitimate email address. No attempt is made to verify the requestor's identity. This setup is different than other online payment systems, such as Paypal, where the payer needs to keep an account balance. Qchex is simply a check writing service that does not verify the accuracy of the information it receives. It was created as a service to people who don't want to pay check printing charges or bank fees. Unfortunately, it's a service that thieves are taking advantage of, too. Since check forging has become even easier, the Wisconsin Better Business Bureau urges caution when sending or receiving bank checks - especially those originating from Qchex. Furthermore, Qchex - and its parent company Neovi, also known as G7 Productivity Systems - have an unsatisfactory rating with the San Diego BBB due to unanswered complaints and a pattern of complaints.

JETX

Gothic Girl said:
Does anyone have any advice for me?
Yep. Start by providing the FULL story, and not just your biased version.

I find it extremely hard to believe that this happened as you claim.
You received a $3k check from someone you don't know.... and just 'happened' to think that is was money from someone for something???
If you are as innocent as you are playing, you would not be charged with 'cashing a stolen check'..... just for depositing it. There is FAR more to this story!!

I STRONGLY suggest you get a really good lawyer..... who at the very least can show you how your story just isn't true.

Gothic Girl

JETX said:
Yep. Start by providing the FULL story, and not just your biased version.

I find it extremely hard to believe that this happened as you claim.
You received a $3k check from someone you don't know.... and just 'happened' to think that is was money from someone for something???
If you are as innocent as you are playing, you would not be charged with 'cashing a stolen check'..... just for depositing it. There is FAR more to this story!!

I STRONGLY suggest you get a really good lawyer..... who at the very least can show you how your story just isn't true.
It's good to know that you believe people are innocent until proven guilty. What I have stated is the EXACT truth. I am telling my whole story, what happened, what was running through my mind, everything. I don't care if YOU don't believe me, as I know the truth, and I will prove it.

Happy Trails

Gothic Girl said:
It's good to know that you believe people are innocent until proven guilty. What I have stated is the EXACT truth. I am telling my whole story, what happened, what was running through my mind, everything. I don't care if YOU don't believe me, as I know the truth, and I will prove it.
Sorry, I took your story the same way. This following statement just doesn't make sense:

I had thought that since I fill out a lot of sweepstakes, and for free stuff on the internet, that I had won a prize.
Who gets a check for $3000 and doesn't find out exactly what it's for?

JETX

Gothic Girl said:
It's good to know that you believe people are innocent until proven guilty.
Not true. After years of this business, I just have a VERY accurate BS meter.

What I have stated is the EXACT truth.
Do you often get $3000 checks from people you don't know?? Is your first thought to run to the bank and try to CASH it??
Of course, you forgot to tell us that you tried to CASH the check... rather than to just deposit to your account, didn't you??
And that was because by cashing (rather than deposit) is just another FACT to question your 'story', since an HONEST person would have just deposited it.

And of course, you just happen to have this check from a KNOWN check-kiting company.

In any case, believable or not...... my post to get a REALLY good attorney still stands.

rdclaw2000

when you try to sell on the net,you will always recieve these types of checks.you stated you tried to cash it thinking maybe you won a contest.be for real,you tried to get over and got caught.when you recieve a qcheck,ask the bank to verify its valid.they will be glad to.if they verify its good,ship your item promptly,non of this i think i won a contest crap,thats what hung you,get a lawyer.part of the scam is they will send you extra to cover the shipping,you cash it send them the shipping and your bank has 24 hours to issue them a refund.you are out of the shipping and the check amount.if its drawn on a local account,have it verified.you don't want to tell that story to a judge.

Veronica1228

rdclaw2000 said:
when you try to sell on the net,you will always recieve these types of checks.you stated you tried to cash it thinking maybe you won a contest.be for real,you tried to get over and got caught.when you recieve a qcheck,ask the bank to verify its valid.they will be glad to.if they verify its good,ship your item promptly,non of this i think i won a contest crap,thats what hung you,get a lawyer.part of the scam is they will send you extra to cover the shipping,you cash it send them the shipping and your bank has 24 hours to issue them a refund.you are out of the shipping and the check amount.if its drawn on a local account,have it verified.you don't want to tell that story to a judge.
What the hell are you rambling on about? Your post makes no sense whatsoever. Particularly the part about the bank having 24 hours to issue a refund? Are you high or something?

Rdclaw2000, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

JETX

Veronica1228 said:
What the hell are you rambling on about? Your post makes no sense whatsoever. Particularly the part about the bank having 24 hours to issue a refund? Are you high or something?
If you think the post made by this idiot (rdclaw) was stupid, it will be partly explained by looking at his OTHER equally stupid post on this forum:
"i recieved dwi#5 while on probation for #4.i walked away with my son and created a new life for us"
https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=263851

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
So...... Did you think the check was from some sort of drawing or from selling your action figure? Or maybe a tax refund? Or...... some unknown person on the 'Net just decided to send you $3k? At least pick a story, and stick with it.

NOTGUILTYLEARCH

Nigerian Scam

I have had several checks sent to me and here is what they usually do....They send you a check that is as rubber as hell and ask that you western union 1/2 the money to them for their sick mother in Nigeria. In most "small town" america banks do not verify these checks and 3 days later when it comes back, you are responsible to pay back the funds....happened to me. They just don't send these checks to anybody and if it had your name and address I am willing to bet you gave it to them sometime...THINK SWEETHEART....and as everyone else has told you......Johhny Cochrane works in your state!! HIRE HIM!!

JETX

NOTGUILTYLEARCH said:
Johhny Cochrane works in your state!! HIRE HIM!!
Sorry, but the only 'state' he works in now is the 'state of mind'.

"If the heart doth quit, you must write an obit."
"If the man don't breathe, you must bequeath."
"You don't see the humor, in da' man's brain tumor?"
"If the death knells chime, then it's your time!"
"If the man expires, you'll hear heavenly choirs!"
"If Death reaps, you leave for keeps!"

And my particular favorite:
"If you help a double murderer, Heaven's a whole lot furtherer" :D

Happy Trails

JETX said:
Sorry, but the only 'state' he works in now is the 'state of mind'.

"If the heart doth quit, you must write an obit."
"If the man don't breathe, you must bequeath."
"You don't see the humor, in da' man's brain tumor?"
"If the death knells chime, then it's your time!"
"If the man expires, you'll hear heavenly choirs!"
"If Death reaps, you leave for keeps!"

And my particular favorite:
"If you help a double murderer, Heaven's a whole lot furtherer" :D
LMAO!!

I will be laughing my a$$ off until my obit. is writ.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">