• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I have a WARRANT out for my arrest!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MrMoeGood

What is the name of your state? Maryland

Ok. In the past week I got a phone call from an old co-worker telling me 5 police officers came to my job looking for me, blocking exits and everything. Then my daughters mother calls me and says the same thing, they wen't to her house 5am looking for me.

About a week prior to hearing that, I had gotten into a fight with my girlfriend and she decided to call the police and say I snatched an envelope full of money from her and ran. VERY SMART on her behalf since there were wittnesses that saw me jerk an envelope from her, but there was no money in it.. and it was MINE. Anyway, she got to feeling bad for lieing and called the police department(shes moved and is living out of state right now), anyway she called and addmitted she made it up and said she wants to drop the charges. She tells me they told her, "We cannot drop the charges because your boyfriend has a warrent out for a totally seperate charge." Now that SUCKS to hear, so here I am racking my brain trying to figure out what it could possibley be for, and the only thing that I can come up with is...

a few months ago, I got into some trouble for supposedly using someone elses credit card and racking up about $1,000 dollars. Supposedly they caught me on tape and have an eye wittness, or so the guy said. But 3 or 4 months have passed, do you think the charges could be for that?

Maybe they were just sleeping on that case, and my name came up in the new one and they decided to jump on it? .....Or maybe they threatened my girlfriend if she dropped the charges she would go to jail for lieing to police? I don't have the slightest, But I do know that right now I have atleast one, probley two warrents out for my arrest. :(

Feedback.

*Also, How do I find out what my warrants are for? I called and they said I would have to have an officer come out to me to find out.

*How do I find a good inexpensive lawyer?

*What kind of trouble could I get into if convicted for this? It's my first real run in with the law, I wen't to court for stealing a 5 or 6 dollar item, right after I turned 18... all i got for that was a fine i though.

Thanks for all the help.

Last edited:

Some Random Guy

Your best bet is to go to the police station (during business hours if possible and not on a friday) and turn yourself in. Bring a friend with some money who can post bail.

Don't want to guess at the penalties until you figure out what you're charged with.

But you probably want to find a lawyer first. Assume that you are wanted on credit card fraud and try to find someone who will give you a free consultation and who can give you an estimate of what defending you will cost. Make sure you can pay him in addition to your bail.

Happy Trails

MrMoeGood said:
How can I find out what my warrant is for without turning myself in?
Did you try running a google search with words like, "Maryland warrant out for arrest information" with your name?

AmosMoses

I don't know if you could find out about a warrant this way, but a friend of mine's mother does "background search" work for a few big "investigation companies". I found out about that one day when I was at his house and I kept hearing a FAX machine kicking on....anyway, it turns out that she gets these FAXes with a person's name, DOB and SSN (I am pretty sure....vital info that you'd know about yourself anyway), and she goes to the three parishes (counties to you) local to her, and checks these people out. Two of the parishes have a public PC that anyone can use to check out this public info, and one of the more backward parishes requires that she actually do a manual check....anyway, she gets like 3 to 5 bucks for each check she does, and she does like anywhere from a few to 40 a day.

Now, that made me wonder, because on that train of thought, if you wanted to know if someone was REALLY clean, would you have to have someone actually check each and every county of each and every state to find out?? I would have thought that there was a clearing house for this info, much like NCIC for law enforcement, but there must not be...I say that because it is big companies that this lady does this for (seems like Kroll and some few others), and you'd figure that they'd have access to any clearinghouse for this info if there were any.

At any rate, she told me that she walks up in the courthouse and is through in a few minutes, and she says that you don't have to ask for assistance, as it is public record. Now, I have no idea if there is warrant info there...I do know that she showed me one of the searches and the guy was charged with something and the charged wasn't disposed of yet....in fact, he had only been charged for short time. Now, is the info you seek, info about a warrant, available? I don't know, but I'd look into it if I were you. And, if you are too spooked to go in there yourself, send a friend.

Most likely, if the info you want isn't available as public record, someone may correct me here shortly.

outonbail

I got into some trouble for supposedly using someone elses credit card and racking up about $1,000 dollars. Supposedly they caught me on tape and have an eye wittness, or so the guy said.
Supposedly, that would rate a felony, or so the law says!

You may be able to contact a bail bondsman who can get the information for you. If there is a warrant, then there is probably a bail amount for that warrant as well. (Unless it's a no bail warrant, but in this case probably not. I'd guess between ten and twenty five thousand) But it may be wise to contact a bail bondsman before your locked up as it is much easier to make arrangements, sign paperwork etc. with them in person. Then you can turn yourself in which looks much better than the police having to send a squad out to find you and when you are taken into custody, you will have the bail posted right away. Probably be out in eight hours........

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">