• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I need help..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

g1diesel

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OHIO

I got stuck into an unfortunate situation with a friend of mine.. An undercover cop in an unmarked vehicle attempted to arrest us and stop the car. He was in a all white, 2008 Chevy Trail Blazer. He yelled STOP! But did NOT properly identify himself as an officer of the law so we just kept driving... Next thing you know my friend has a warrant out for his arrest...

My question is, before making an arrest like that and stopping an already moving car, since the cop was in a NORMAL car does he HAVE TO properly identify himself as an officer of the law? We didn't know who the hell it was so we just continued to drive...

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OHIO

I got stuck into an unfortunate situation with a friend of mine.. An undercover cop in an unmarked vehicle attempted to arrest us and stop the car. He was in a all white, 2008 Chevy Trail Blazer. He yelled STOP! But did NOT properly identify himself as an officer of the law so we just kept driving... Next thing you know my friend has a warrant out for his arrest...

My question is, before making an arrest like that and stopping an already moving car, since the cop was in a NORMAL car does he HAVE TO properly identify himself as an officer of the law? We didn't know who the hell it was so we just continued to drive...
If you really want help from qualified people here, you are going to have to give us the whole story:rolleyes:

CdwJava

You were probably under no legal obligation to stop, but the officer can still seek a warrant for your arrest for whatever the offense is. Is the warrant for failing to yield? He may have seen you involved in something else, wanted to stop you then, but you left. So, instead of deal with it then he got a warrant.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
So let's see, the officer was chasing you and you didn't stop. Then at some point the officer just shut off his lights and stopped trying to stop you? Why would that be? There must be alot more to this than you are saying.

And how do you know it was an "undercover" officer? Undercover officers usually don't make traffic stops, especially by yelling "stop". Did you even see if he was in uniform?

If you have doubts about someone trying to stop you pick up the phone and dial 911.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">