• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I need some advice.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hobskank

The state is Iowa.

My name is Lauren, I am 18 years old and attempting to enjoy the rest of my summer before I begin college in New York City. The only reason I'm not enjoying my summer to its fullest extent is because of a little trouble I got in to a few months ago. (It might be important to note that I was 17 at the time.)

Alright, so here's the situation. My ex-boyfriend got pulled over while I was with him and the police searched his car and found his bong, his alcohol, and my cigarettes. We were both given a marijuana paraphernalia ticket and an alcohol possesion ticket, and I was given a tobacco possesion ticket since I was 17. The next morning, the police called and informed my mother that I could tear up and throw away the marijuana and the alcohol tickets. So I did, and paid the tobacco ticket in a timely fashion. Soon after, I moved on my own to another state (which I choose not to disclose at this time). Now, after I have turned 18, my parents were informed via mail that a warrant was issued for my arrest for failure to pay for these two tickets.

Is this right? What should I do? My mother thinks I should go to the courthouse and sort it out, but I'm afraid that I will get arrested and then not be able to attend college on time. Please help... and thanks in advance.

Lauren

stephenk

"The next morning, the police called and informed my mother that I could tear up and throw away the marijuana and the alcohol tickets. "

Huh?

You need to go back and take care of the warrants. No police department would call a person and just say tear up the tickets.

JETX

"The next morning, the police called and informed my mother that I could tear up and throw away the marijuana and the alcohol tickets."
*** Were you or your mother drinking or smokin' when this conversation was supposed to have taken place???
Simply, it never happened, and you might as well not try to tell the police or DA it did. That statement is so far-fetched that they might just lock you up on the spot!!!

Get these tickets (and warrants) taken care of right now. If you don't, your 'freshman' year will be spent looking over your shoulder for the police to arrest you on the outstanding arrest warrant(s).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">