• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I think i shoplifted? HELP.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ooogly

What is the name of your state? California

While working at Nordstrom, I was throwing out empty gift cards and found one with money left on it. So instead of throwing it out I kept it. And now Nordstrom is calling me to ask about it. What does this mean? How much trouble am I in??

Help is appreciated! Thanks.

ooogly

but i just thought they were throwing it all out...and i thought it would be a waste...i didnt mean to steal??

CourtClerk

I seem to remember that years and years ago when I was first out of high school and working retail, stores used to do these "integrity checks" all the time.

You did mean to steal. You knew that gift card had money on it, you knew it didn't belong to you and instead of turning it over to your supervisor or manager, you decided to use it. That's stealing. Now what you didn't mean to do (if anything) was get caught, but that doesn't change the fact that you stole.

ooogly

oh...so assuming it's stealing....what does that mean? what's going to happen next?

they called me to go in and talk...so i'm going to do that on monday...i plan to tell them exactly what happened..and what i thought....what should i expect?

Ozark_Sophist

oh...so assuming it's stealing....what does that mean? what's going to happen next?

they called me to go in and talk...so i'm going to do that on monday...i plan to tell them exactly what happened..and what i thought....what should i expect?
Expect them to ask you to sign a statement detailing your actions. Expect to then be walked to the door. Expect your statement to be used against you should the store decide to prosecute. You will not have a job. You have to decide if you want to cooperate.

ooogly

i c...what if i dont work there anymore already? i was only there for the holidays.

and what are the chances of this being on my records?

what do u mean choose to prosecute? i have no idea what that means...i've never stolen before...

i really didn't mean to "steal" i really thought it was customer's left over cards and thought it would be a waste and I didn't have money to get my sister a present...

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Please explain how using money that does not belong to you can be defined as anything else but stealing.

ooogly

Please explain how using money that does not belong to you can be defined as anything else but stealing.
i didnt say it wasnt....im just trying to say what my intentions were..and if that has any effect on what i'm asking which is what might happen next...

i'd really appreciate it...if someone could help me...and if you're only going to post and tell me i stole...and make me feel worse than i already do...then please, i'd rather you not post...

thank you

CourtClerk

Prosecute: Go to the DA's office and request that criminal charges be brought against you for stealing.

Your intention: To buy something with money that was not yours = stealing, conversion. All kinds of things, but your intention was NOT to be honest.

CdwJava

i didnt say it wasnt....im just trying to say what my intentions were..and if that has any effect on what i'm asking which is what might happen next...

i'd really appreciate it...if someone could help me...and if you're only going to post and tell me i stole...and make me feel worse than i already do...then please, i'd rather you not post...

thank you
Here is the definition of theft from the CA Penal Code:

484. (a) Every person who shall feloniously steal, take, carry,
lead, or drive away the personal property of another, or who shall
fraudulently appropriate property which has been entrusted to him or
her, or who shall knowingly and designedly, by any false or
fraudulent representation or pretense, defraud any other person of
money, labor or real or personal property, or who causes or procures
others to report falsely of his or her wealth or mercantile character
and by thus imposing upon any person, obtains credit and thereby
fraudulently gets or obtains possession of money, or property or
obtains the labor or service of another, is guilty of theft. In
determining the value of the property obtained, for the purposes of
this section, the reasonable and fair market value shall be the test,
and in determining the value of services received the contract price
shall be the test. If there be no contract price, the reasonable
and going wage for the service rendered shall govern. For the
purposes of this section, any false or fraudulent representation or
pretense made shall be treated as continuing, so as to cover any
money, property or service received as a result thereof, and the
complaint, information or indictment may charge that the crime was
committed on any date during the particular period in question. The
hiring of any additional employee or employees without advising each
of them of every labor claim due and unpaid and every judgment that
the employer has been unable to meet shall be prima facie evidence of
intent to defraud.​
You have committed theft,

However, whether you wish to cooperate with the store or not is up to you. Understand that anything you say can be used against you. Just from what you have written you face either petty or grand theft, quite probably burglary, and maybe embezzlement as well.

What was the value of the purchases you made on the purloined card(s)? That will determine the level of offense.

- Carl

ooogly

It was one card with around 50 dollars left on it.

I didn't hide it or anything either, I was sorting cards with a supervisor. Thats how much I thought I wasn't stealing.

Does it make a difference that the money didn't belong to anyone? because they were all being tossed out? but i guess that's like stealing from other people's garbage, which is also illegal right?

CdwJava

It was one card with around 50 dollars left on it.
At worst it was burglary ... at best, misappropriation of found property.

It was not yours to spend.

I didn't hide it or anything either, I was sorting cards with a supervisor. Thats how much I thought I wasn't stealing.
But, you used it without permission. Someone had paid for that card and there are likely procedures for unclaimed or unused cards - and i doubt that includes, "Finders keepers."

Does it make a difference that the money didn't belong to anyone? because they were all being tossed out? but i guess that's like stealing from other people's garbage, which is also illegal right?
See above.

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">