• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I thought the case was closed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

amandaf

What is the name of your state? Illinois

Okay, basically this is the story. I committed credit card fraud using my roommates name. He called the cops, I confessed to everything and he agreed not to press charges as long as I payed him the amount I charged on the credit cards. While the cops were still present, I brought up my bank account on my computer to prove I had the funds (I did.) So, the agreement was that I would pay him in full and no charges would be filed.

I have payed him in full.

He asked the cops "what if it happens again?" And they told him that then he would of course be able to press charges.

I thought that meant that the case was closed, end of story.

Now he's claiming he can still press charges if he wants, for any reason, if I don't do what he says. He's making me pay him additional money (that I don't owe him)...."or else he'll call the cops". I'm really scared. I've never done anything like this before in my life, I'm not a bad person, I just made a really stupid mistake because I was angry with my roommate over his constantly being late on his share of rent and utility bills. I've learned my lesson. Now I just want this to be over with.

And I thought it was, after the cops left.

I guess my question is, can he just change his mind and decide to press charges at any time, when the situation hasn't changed?

seniorjudge

Q: I guess my question is, can he just change his mind and decide to press charges at any time, when the situation hasn't changed?

A: It is up to the prosecuting attorney whether to file charges. You did commit a crime. Restitution doesn't make it go away.

amandaf

seniorjudge said:
Q: I guess my question is, can he just change his mind and decide to press charges at any time, when the situation hasn't changed?

A: It is up to the prosecuting attorney whether to file charges. You did commit a crime. Restitution doesn't make it go away.
I understand that restitution doesn't make it go away.

There was never an attorney involved with this. The police officers just wanted to handle it as a "domestic dispute" and leave it at that. It never went further than the one confrontation with the police, in which an agreement was made that I would pay up and no charges would be filed.

I payed up. Now my roommate claims he can still file charges if he wants. Can he? And if so, can he just do it whenever or is there a time limit?

thanrah1

Change of mind?

The police probably made a report on this or at least have their notes. It'll be up to the police and/or prosecutor to decide if it goes any further.....I hope you have proof that you paid.

Some Random Guy

1. Get it in writing that if you pay your roomie $X in addition to the restitution already paid, then he will not file charges.

and/or

2. Talk to the police about this extortion attempt. Even though you committed the crime, you still have rights.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">