• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I was threatened to be killed with a gun, what action should I take?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tulsan918

I am in Oklahoma. At a public sports facility, an individual threatened to shoot me in the head and kill me after a heated game and a fight ensued. This individual started punching me and after people grabbed this person, she started screaming the same threats again. It happened 2 days ago and I assumed the sports facility would expel her from the facility, but after she told the owner/manager that she was just saying that and doesn't really have a gun, the facility decided NOT to expel her, but to suspend BOTH of us (for 'fighting') for 8 weeks. The facility said they did not want to talk to any witnesses (and there are several who back up the events of that night and my side of the story). I am seriously considering pressing charges now. Would this go anywhere?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Question: I was threatened to be killed with a gun, what action should I take?

Answer: Report it to the police.

Silverplum

I am in Oklahoma. At a public sports facility, an individual threatened to shoot me in the head and kill me after a heated game and a fight ensued. This individual started punching me and after people grabbed this person, she started screaming the same threats again. It happened 2 days ago and I assumed the sports facility would expel her from the facility, but after she told the owner/manager that she was just saying that and doesn't really have a gun, the facility decided NOT to expel her, but to suspend BOTH of us (for 'fighting') for 8 weeks. The facility said they did not want to talk to any witnesses (and there are several who back up the events of that night and my side of the story). I am seriously considering pressing charges now. Would this go anywhere?
You don't have the "right" to be at the sports facility. You have nothing here against the sports facility.

Tulsan918

You don't have the "right" to be at the sports facility. You have nothing here against the sports facility.

I understand that. I don't care if I ever return to that place actually. What I mean is I am considering filing charges against the person who threatened to kill me with a gun. I just wonder what happens if/when I file charges for someone threatening to shoot me.

HomeGuru

I understand that. I don't care if I ever return to that place actually. What I mean is I am considering filing charges against the person who threatened to kill me with a gun. I just wonder what happens if/when I file charges for someone threatening to shoot me.
**A: hello, what did the cops tell you? What, you never called the police?

CdwJava

If no gun was actually seen, the offense will not be quite as serious as it otherwise might be. Did you believe the other party had a gun and was going to carry out the threat? If not, then it may turn into nothing.

You also have to be concerned with whatever else might be said about this disturbance. If the two of you came to blows, one or both of you could also face assault/battery charges. If others saw things slightly different than you did, then this may not play out well.

Also, understand, that reporting it will not guarantee action, it only helps top guarantee the incident will be documented somehow.

It is good that you are reporting it to the police. But, do not expect anything to happen and be pleased if you do eventually get called to court as a witness.

Tulsan918

If no gun was actually seen, the offense will not be quite as serious as it otherwise might be. Did you believe the other party had a gun and was going to carry out the threat? If not, then it may turn into nothing.

You also have to be concerned with whatever else might be said about this disturbance. If the two of you came to blows, one or both of you could also face assault/battery charges. If others saw things slightly different than you did, then this may not play out well.

Also, understand, that reporting it will not guarantee action, it only helps top guarantee the incident will be documented somehow.

It is good that you are reporting it to the police. But, do not expect anything to happen and be pleased if you do eventually get called to court as a witness.
CdwJava- Thank you very much! Your reply was helpful! That was the kind of information I was asking for.

TigerD

You are about to file a police report against someone you say threatened to pull a gun on you and threatened you in a public place over an altercation stemming from a ball game.

Think about this. If you file that report, the police cannot protect you. They only have a starting point if he should actually hurt you next time. If you have no other contact with the guy, let it go.

It may be in your best interest to drop it.

DC

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">