• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Identity Theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JadaLynn

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

Last yr I was a victim of criminal identity theft. I was at home when the police came and informed me I was under arrest for forgery, uttering, Grand Larney and failure to appear in court. I was of course shocked, handcuffed and taken in. When I arrived the detective knew I was not the person he was looking for and I was let go. The next day, I called him and filed a police report and FTC, etc. I learned that she was a career criminal in our small town, although I did know her and she was on the run. I called him a lot to check and see if she had been found and after 5 months, she was arrested. She had over 38 total felonies in her lifetime. He told me I would be receiving something about my court date in the future. Well, I happened to look under the court cases and found out that she was charged with employee as true and let go, by nolle presue I know the spelling is wrong,. I never received a court date and or anything. She wasn't even charged with stealing my identity. I know to some, it may not mean anything, but this entire case has just rattled my nerves to no end. Also, I found that my name is STILL on the public court case as a fugitive after I have called and told them many times to remove it. How can they not contact me? BTW, saw her name in our local paper just a month ago, right after her release, she stole a CC!!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Last yr I was a victim of criminal identity theft. I was at home when the police came and informed me I was under arrest for forgery, uttering, Grand Larney and failure to appear in court. I was of course shocked, handcuffed and taken in. When I arrived the detective knew I was not the person he was looking for and I was let go. The next day, I called him and filed a police report and FTC, etc. I learned that she was a career criminal in our small town, although I did know her and she was on the run. I called him a lot to check and see if she had been found and after 5 months, she was arrested. She had over 38 total felonies in her lifetime. He told me I would be receiving something about my court date in the future. Well, I happened to look under the court cases and found out that she was charged with employee as true and let go, by nolle presue I know the spelling is wrong,. I never received a court date and or anything. She wasn't even charged with stealing my identity. I know to some, it may not mean anything, but this entire case has just rattled my nerves to no end. Also, I found that my name is STILL on the public court case as a fugitive after I have called and told them many times to remove it. How can they not contact me? BTW, saw her name in our local paper just a month ago, right after her release, she stole a CC!!
Your name is now someone's alias.

quincy

not2cleverRed located JadaLynn's thread on this same matter, posted in March of 2014. Here is a direct link to the thread:

https://forum.freeadvice.com/arrests-searches-warrants-procedure-26/falsly-arrested-604494.html

Because the woman was using your name, it was for a woman using your name that the police were searching, so that is what appears on the record.

I don't know what you mean by "charged with employee as true."

Identity theft is a growing problem. You were a victim of it. That sucks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">