• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

if a cop asks for your fingerprints do you need to give them?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jake2375

i talked to him once, he told me he "wanted" me to give him my prints. he called me again and i didnt answer. he said "well i missed you yeasterday but if you would be willing to come here and give me your prints...call me ..."

i know if i give them my prints i will be blamed, because like i said before i know there on his car, i helped him change his brakes about a week ago.

CdwJava

How is that any different than stopping you on the street and running your name for wants/warrants?
They can run your name most any time ... to STOP you, they have to have reasonable suspicion to detain you ... to take your prints is significantly less convenient than a radio transmission.

It's much the same as DNA, I assume. Because it can be invasive and take some time, you have to meet the requirements for whatever legal process is in place to obtain these things.

- Carl

Isis1

i talked to him once, he told me he "wanted" me to give him my prints. he called me again and i didnt answer. he said "well i missed you yeasterday but if you would be willing to come here and give me your prints...call me ..."

i know if i give them my prints i will be blamed, because like i said before i know there on his car, i helped him change his brakes about a week ago.
well, if he did leave the exact message as you stated, don't be willing and don't call.

if you get served with a warrant, shut up and call a lawyer.

CdwJava

You do not have to talk to the police or return their calls. However, if you do answer the phone, just don't be rude or crude ... you can be polite when you decline to meet with them.

Do they have a motive? Do you have some kind of a beef against the victim? Did he owe you money or something? In other words, why would they think you slashed the tires if you were buddies enough a week ago to help him change his brakes.

- Carl

Some Random Guy

This whole story seems strange. The person worked on the car last week, so it is expected that his fingerprints would be on it. And since he worked on the brakes, his prints are expected to be in the wheel, fender, wheel well and tire areas.

Are the police aware that you worked on the brakes? Are they claiming to want to eliminate your prints so that they can focus on the other unidentified ones? Ask them why they want the prints, but politely decline to provide them since you will not benefit from having your fingerprints on file with the police.

jake2375

he owed me 20 dollars,thats it i dont see why he or the police would think im mad over 20 dollars. he denys me ever working on the car, therefore this is why i think he's setting me up, or he does really think i did it over 20 dollars? All i know is if i give them my prints im getting blamed for it

Nickj119

Screw Waukesha cops. They have nothing to do rather than harass tire slashing suspects when we have people flying planes drunk into houses, someone getting caught on their 19th DUI, and people obviously intoxicated fighting on the streets but Waukesha seems to just pull someone over for a "burnt out license plate light."

Note: these are not related to me in any way, just goes to show how Waukesha, and Waukesha County need to prioritize things better.

As far as the tires go Jake, just don't talk to the police without an attorney. I live about 2 minutes from Waukesha in Hartland. If they come to you, they come to you. Don't go to them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">