• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

If you cannot afford an attorney****************************.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lsks

What is the name of your state? Kansas

My son was recently arrested for being in possession of marajuana. His is 19. We were not notified because at age 18 he is considered an adult. When he asked about having a court appointed attorney he was given a form to fill out that asked about parents income. Why would his parents be a factor for a court appointed attorney if his parents do not have to be notified and cannot find out any information about the case?

weenor

They want to know if he has a financial means to obtain a lawyer so that they don't have to appoint one on the taxpayer's dime.

gawm

weenor said:
They want to know if he has a financial means to obtain a lawyer so that they don't have to appoint one on the taxpayer's dime.
I still don't understand what his parents income has to do with whether or not he can afford an attorney? His parents have no obligation to hire one for him and I even seen a couple of cases where someone was appointed an attorney and later on their parents hired one and they got to keep both.

CdwJava

gawm said:
I still don't understand what his parents income has to do with whether or not he can afford an attorney? His parents have no obligation to hire one for him and I even seen a couple of cases where someone was appointed an attorney and later on their parents hired one and they got to keep both.
It's but one of the things the court take into consideration. If the parents claim him as a dependent because he's a student, the court rules may take the position that they are still responsible for him. Heck, it's not likely THE deciding factor, but one of several. If the defendant gives a home address as the same with mom and dad, it is going to be very likely the court will conclude that he is still a dependent as well.

Who knows? Dad's best bet is to call the court and ask them.

- Carl

weenor

CdwJava said:
It's but one of the things the court take into consideration. If the parents claim him as a dependent because he's a student, the court rules may take the position that they are still responsible for him. Heck, it's not likely THE deciding factor, but one of several. If the defendant gives a home address as the same with mom and dad, it is going to be very likely the court will conclude that he is still a dependent as well.

Who knows? Dad's best bet is to call the court and ask them.

- Carl
Yep what Carl said..:cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">