• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

if your pressing charges against someone can you also go to jail.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

abri1004

FL. My ex boyfriend had attacked me at night he dragged me out my car and ripped off my clothes. While choking me. I jumped in my car to drive off and he than threw rocks at my car where I now have two dents. I want to press charges against him but my mother and his aunt say I will be going with him because he accused me of trying to run him over with my car. ImI'm trying to get in any trouble. I have bruises and a cut along the back of my leg from him dragging me on the ground. I am scared of going to jail but I also want to the do the right thing. He is also on probation for battery against a leo.

OHRoadwarrior

The officers will asses the claims and evidence, as will the prosecutor. Charges will be forthcoming as the evidence indicates.

justalayman

The officers will asses the claims and evidence, as will the prosecutor. Charges will be forthcoming as the evidence indicates.

again? I'm starting to think it is intentional

assess FOUR s's.

or maybe you did mean what you wrote. If so, never mind and carry on.

quincy

FL. My ex boyfriend had attacked me at night he dragged me out my car and ripped off my clothes. While choking me. I jumped in my car to drive off and he than threw rocks at my car where I now have two dents. I want to press charges against him but my mother and his aunt say I will be going with him because he accused me of trying to run him over with my car. ImI'm trying to get in any trouble. I have bruises and a cut along the back of my leg from him dragging me on the ground. I am scared of going to jail but I also want to the do the right thing. He is also on probation for battery against a leo.
Did your ex-boyfriend report the incident to the police?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
You can't press charges you can only file a complaint.

What makes you think your boyfriend hasn't filed a police report about your conduct already?

quincy

You can't press charges you can only file a complaint.

What makes you think your boyfriend hasn't filed a police report about your conduct already?
The ex-boyfriend filing a complaint against her should be a concern for abri1004 - although if the ex-boyfriend is on probation, there might be reluctance on his part to do so.

With what has been described as having occurred, however, I would think calling the police would be most people's first instinct.

abri1004

Did your ex-boyfriend report the incident to the police?
Yes. He told the officer and the family I tried to strike him wirh my car. I drove away from him because he was running towards my car with a brick. He walked away after he threw it.

abri1004

The ex-boyfriend filing a complaint against her should be a concern for abri1004 - although if the ex-boyfriend is on probation, there might be reluctance on his part to do so.

With what has been described as having occurred, however, I would think calling the police would be most people's first instinct.
I had filed an report that night with an officer . I told him everything. But I'm worried about that he is accusing me of trying to strike him with my car. After he ripped my clothes off on the ground he walked away but I seen him run towards my car with rocks. I'm not trying to go to jail for an allegation of trying to run him over. But in the report he says he jumped out tge way before I could strike him.

justalayman

I would suggest not speaking with anybody other than the attorney you should be looking to hire. If this has all been reported to the police, the prosecutor is working on it to determine if they are going to file charges or not. You should be prepared that they may file charges on you.

abri1004

I called the police that night and got a copy of my police report yesterday morning , where he is stating that I tried to run him over.I feel like that since he saying that he going to get off.

quincy

You made the report that night? If so then being naked should have added to your credibility.
No clothes, some bruises, a cut on the leg, possible signs of choking, car damage. . . . . there seems to be evidence enough to support the report to the police. There is a potential problem with the story, though, and that would be claims of "rock" damage to the car (two dents) when she also said the ex-boyfriend threw a single brick.

abri1004 needs an attorney and should not talk to anyone but that attorney.

abri1004

You made the report that night? If so then being naked should have added to your credibility.
The officer walked up to my car and saw me naked. My concern is that am I also will get charged because he is saying that I attempted to run him over. But I don't understand is that is he accusing me of trying to hit him will even hold up in court rather than him having proof.

quincy

The officer walked up to my car and saw me naked. My concern is that am I also will get charged because he is saying that I attempted to run him over. But I don't understand is that is he accusing me of trying to hit him will even hold up in court rather than him having proof.
Who made the call to the police? Both you and your ex-boyfriend stayed "on the scene" for the police to arrive, even though you were afraid for your safety?

It is possible you can be charged (possibly with assault with a deadly weapon) and it is possible your ex-boyfriend can be charged with assault and have his probation revoked. Charges would be based on the reports that were filed and the observations of the police when they arrived and any evidence that supports the reports.

You should consult with an attorney in your area, abri1004.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">