• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Was this illegal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mt_Vernon

The "reason" given was a cracked license plate? The plate is completely visible so not sure why it was an issue.
Find out your state laws on license plates. If the "cracked" plate was not a violation of the law, then the stop was illegal, and you can sue the police.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Find out your state laws on license plates. If the "cracked" plate was not a violation of the law, then the stop was illegal, and you can sue the police.
Horrible advice - on what basis do you think the OP can sue?

Mt_Vernon

Horrible advice - on what basis do you think the OP can sue?

Improper stop by police, based on the fact that having a cracked plate is not illegal.

I also suggested that the OP's husband's employer may have been negligent in the handling of the husband's auto insurance. For some reason, that post was deleted. I wonder why. Is the employer one of the moderators of this forum?

davew128

Improper stop by police, based on the fact that having a cracked plate is not illegal.

I also suggested that the OP's husband's employer may have been negligent in the handling of the husband's auto insurance. For some reason, that post was deleted. I wonder why. Is the employer one of the moderators of this forum?
You suggested a bunch of things. None of which hold up under the law. Did you have anything USEFUL to add?

quincy

So why wouldn't any of my suggestions hold up under the law?
In Minnesota, a police officer can stop a car for an obstructed license plate - with obstruction including but not limited to dirt, grime and snow. It is not unreasonable to believe that a cracked plate would be more difficult to read than one that is not cracked.

Police officers have an immunity from civil actions when performing their official duties.

Mt_Vernon

In Minnesota, a police officer can stop a car for an obstructed license plate - with obstruction including but not limited to dirt, grime and snow. It is not unreasonable to believe that a cracked plate would be more difficult to read than one that is not cracked.
Do cracked and obstructed mean the same thing? It sounds like I'm splitting hairs, but these small details matter.

CdwJava

How does someone "crack" a license plate? In my nearly quarter century at this, I have yet to see a "cracked" license plate. Could it have been a cracked - and thus, obscured - license plate cover?

If we knew what code section was going to be cited, we'd likely know what the officer was talking about. Of course, it's always possible that the driver got the phrasing or terminology turned around, too.

quincy

Do cracked and obstructed mean the same thing? It sounds like I'm splitting hairs, but these small details matter.
I don't know if a cracked plate (and I still haven't quite figured out how you crack a license plate :)) could be considered an obstructed plate. I only know that the law lists some examples of what could be considered "obstructed" and I suppose it is possible a cracked plate could be something that falls within the law.

You are right that small details can matter. That is why if someone is intent on fighting a ticket, they should have the details reviewed by an attorney who knows what details could get a ticket tossed.

I believe most police officers are not going to waste their time or, more importantly, risk their careers by making bad stops and conducting illegal searches. But I am not so young or so naïve as to believe that both bad stops and illegal searches do not happen. They do. Whether this happened in Bvjt's case requires a personal review of all facts more than forum opinions based on partial facts expressed in short posts, though.

edit to add: It appears we were thinking along the same lines, Carl. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">