• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Illegal confiscation of unregistered firearm

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

California -

Hello. I was stopped by police recently in California for jay walking across a busy street while the red hand was still red at the cross walk. The officer I.D'd me and asked if I was on probation which I replied NO. He then asked if I was carrying a firearm or had drugs in my back pack. I informed him that I had an unloaded Civil War model cap and ball revolver, 44. caliber Pietta brand made pistol that was locked securely in a safe. I was then ordered to the ground at gun point by two officers. (I found this action to be somewhat reasonable, given the fact that the officers had no true way to determine at first whether the firearm was trully secure, or unloaded, since they had stopped me for an infraction, under ca. law, perhaps? So the stop and frisk and investigation into the guns secure status while on me is not what this post is about.) After the officer discovered that the gun was in a safe, they requested that I unlock the safe, because they wanted to see it. I declined saying that I did not have the key on me. They got restless and said they wanted to see the make and model and to demonstrate that it was really unloaded. When i said I didn't want the safe opened they got a bolt cutter from their car and cut the lock and then both handled the firearm saying how cool it was, and how they love these type of antique guns. (Like a couple of kids at Toys R Us during the X-mas holiday, they were.) Anyway's, the officers had ran my name and shortly thereafter they discovered that I had an out of county warrant for misdemeanour�s and I was arrested and booked into the county jail. The officer told me that the gun was to be kept at the police station, but in order for me to retrieve it, I had to produce evidence that the gun was actually mine after I handled my court case for the warrant. This is the problem, the gun was given to me by my grand father before he died, but no receipts were handed over for the gun, and I have no other family able to verify how I came to own the gun. Now, the police department refuses to give me back the gun because I cannot produce receipts for the antique pistol. It will eventually be sold at an auction or destroyed or laid claim to by the officers, soon? I assume. HOGWASH? The cops probably just hope I fall for this trick so one of them can lay claim to the gun when I am unable to retrieve it. Literal highway robbery, if you ask me. This type of handgun does not need to be registered once it is purchased. It was being transported in a legal and safe manner. I have a right to carry and bear arms under the 2nd amendment? It was locked in a safe and unloaded for a soon to occur sale. I could sell this gun and the buyer would not need to notify the authorities of the transaction. Furthermore, is not being forced and compelled into demonstrating to the towns police department proof that I am the actual owner of the firearm a way of by passing the law that does not require me to register ownership of the gun to authorities that I indeed possess the gun? Since possession is 9 tenths of the law, the fact that police have, with all apparent intents and purposes, stole this gun from me at gun point, rendering them the objective possessors of the firearm, as it now stands, what am I able to do to get my gun back? Any advice is greatly appreciated, and may help me alleviate me from having nightmares that my grandpa is rolling over in grave from grief at the loss of this family heirloom. Thank You. :confused:

Last edited:

dave33

Once the police take an item and claim it is for a criminal case it almost always takes a court to get involved to get the item back. Although I am not familiar with your state or even your district, this seems to be a pretty common practice across the board. It is usually a huge pain to get things back and many times the efforts are not rewarded. goodluck.

Mt_Vernon

California -

Hello. I was stopped by police recently in California for jay walking across a busy street while the red hand was still red at the cross walk. The officer I.D'd me and asked if I was on probation which I replied NO. He then asked if I was carrying a firearm or had drugs in my back pack. I informed him that I had an unloaded Civil War model cap and ball revolver, 44. caliber Pietta brand made pistol that was locked securely in a safe.

I'm a little confused here. Did you have the gun in your backpack, or on your person, when the police officer stopped you for jaywalking? Or was the gun in some safe back at your home?

CdwJava

The Penal Code allows the officer to inspect any firearm on your person. There is no exception that I am aware of for it being inside a container on your person. In order to get the item back you will need to get a clearance letter from the CA DOJ as well as show ownership. Showing ownership can be as easy as notarized letters from family members and friends who have personal knowledge that you are the owner of the firearm and how you obtained it. Talk to someone higher up in the department.

Mt_Vernon

The Penal Code allows the officer to inspect any firearm on your person. There is no exception that I am aware of for it being inside a container on your person. In order to get the item back you will need to get a clearance letter from the CA DOJ as well as show ownership. Showing ownership can be as easy as notarized letters from family members and friends who have personal knowledge that you are the owner of the firearm and how you obtained it. Talk to someone higher up in the department.
The OP was stopped for jaywalking. If the Penile Code allows the police to check for weapons just as a safety precaution, why did the officer not give back the weapon upon the completion of the stop?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The OP was stopped for jaywalking. If the Penile Code allows the police to check for weapons just as a safety precaution, why did the officer not give back the weapon upon the completion of the stop?
Because the OP was arrested on a warrant.

Mt_Vernon

Because the OP was arrested on a warrant.
The warrant seems to have nothing to do with the gun. So, after the warrant is taken care of, why must the OP provide proof of ownership for the gun to get the gun back? Why don't the police have to prove that the OP is not the owner?

Zigner

The warrant seems to have nothing to do with the gun. So, after the warrant is taken care of, why must the OP provide proof of ownership for the gun to get the gun back? Why don't the police have to prove that the OP is not the owner?
Are you seriously suggesting that anybody should be able to walk in and say "That's my gun" and then it would be up to the police to prove that it's not?

Mt_Vernon

Are you seriously suggesting that anybody should be able to walk in and say "That's my gun" and then it would be up to the police to prove that it's not?
The gun was already in the OP's possession when the police found it. In the absence of proof that the gun does not belong to the OP, we must assume that the gun does belong to the OP.

Would you like the police to come into your home, steal some item that you bought 20 years ago (and for which you no longer have a receipt), and then demand that you prove that the item is yours?

I've got comic books that I bought 30 years ago, at a comic-book store that no longer exists. I never even got a receipt for them in the first place (because the store did not give receipts). How would I prove that I own them?

Last edited:

Zigner

The gun was already in the OP's possession when the police found it. In the absence of proof that the gun does not belong to the OP, we must assume that the gun does belong to the OP.

Would you like the police to come into your home, steal some item that you bought 20 years ago (and for which you no longer have a receipt), and then demand that you prove that the item is yours?

I've got comic books that I bought 30 years ago, at a comic-book store that no longer exists. I never even got a receipt for them in the first place (because the store did not give receipts). How would I prove that I own them?
As was mentioned above, there are ways to show ownership. Furthermore, we're not talking about 30 year old comic books :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Mt_Vernon

As was mentioned above, there are ways to show ownership. Furthermore, we're not talking about 30 year old comic books :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Yeah, there are ways. You talk about friends and family vouching for the OP. Well, what happens if friends and family don't know that the OP owns the gun? Should I show every piece of property I have to all my friends and family?

davew128

If the Penile Code allows the police to check for weapons just as a safety precaution
Ok, I don't know about you but MY penile code tells me that if anyone starts checking my pants for that kind of weapon, they're getting a haymaker, badge or not.

Zigner

Yeah, there are ways. You talk about friends and family vouching for the OP. Well, what happens if friends and family don't know that the OP owns the gun? Should I show every piece of property I have to all my friends and family?
Your statements have nothing to do with the OP's situation :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">