• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

illegal search

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tgrmo1

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Colorado

We recently had my sister-in-law and her boyfriend "Jerry" staying with us. Jerry was in trouble for drugs and we let him stay with us on a condition that he get help and go to all his court dates. Jerry and my sister-in-law decided to leave after a month of staying with us, about two months ago. Last Friday the police show up at our door and push their way into our home, we own the house. The police did not provide us with a warrant and did not show us their badges. One was dressed in plain clothes and the other two in uniform. They did not ask to search our home. They were searching for "Jerry." His bondsman called the police and said he just showed up at our house at 11:30 at night and had been in and out of our house for the last three days. All the incidents that the bondsman had described to the police as seeing "Jerry" was in fact my husband. He has no criminal record and is of Asian descent as is "Jerry." My questions are was this a lawful search, were we discriminated against because of my husband's race, and what are our options to ensure that this does not happen again?

JETX

"My questions are was this a lawful search"
*** Yes. Since your post said that the 'bondsman' was looking for him, presumably they were acting on a 'fugitive warrant' and as such, had the right to enter in search of the fugitive based on the information that they had he was there.

"were we discriminated against because of my husband's race"
*** No. They would have done the same thing if the fugitive was blue, or pink, or orange.

"and what are our options to ensure that this does not happen again?"
*** Pretty simple. Don't provide a 'haven' for known felons and fugitives. Ever heard of 'sleep with dogs, wake with fleas'??

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">