• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Illegal Search?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Derek O'Brien

What is the name of your state? Montana
I run a small wilderness tour company, arranging excursions, camping, rafting, etc. I'm divorced, but the settlement I agreed upon with my ex was straightforward and to her benefit, and she never complained, and there's no issue of child custody or anything like that.
Anyway six weeks ago a woman who'd been on one of the tours showed some interest in me, hung around the office a couple of times, flirted, though it never went any further than some kissing, and we never went out or to her or my home. Anyway, she disappeared, the number and address she gave me for the vacation details proved fake, though the credit card details she used to pay for her initial trip went through without a problem. And I found out from one of my staff that they had seen her at my office computer one time when I had gone out (Yeah, I know, I'm an idiot for leaving it on without password protection). What's more, if the man who helped set up the computer in the first place is right, it appears my accounts and other details were accessed and copied.
I couldn't figure out why anyone would want to do this, certainly not my ex, she signed a deal as part of our settlement that she would no longer pursue anything more from me, and I have no outstanding court actions or legal proceedings being launched against me.
Then a friend had suggested it was the IRS, and that I had been investigated because some other friends of mine were being investigated as well for evasion (they had helped get my business going with some informal loans that I've since paid off). He said it was no different than an agency doing a background check on someone, but though nothing has come about as a result, I'm still very unnerved by it all.
Now I've not done anything wrong, but if I did, surely any evidence gathered like that by her, with no identification or warrants being served, would be considered inadmissable? Are they allowed to even do that? Can they have warrants to search and not serve them or announce themselves? Any advice on this matter would be appreciated

BelizeBreeze

It was not the IRS.

It was a private investigator or you are the victim of identy theft. Call the police and file a report with cyber crimes division.

outonbail

I agree with BB, this was most likely someone who was trying to gain financial information from you for fraudulent purposes. Possibly for identity theft or securing a loan/credit cards.

You may want to do a credit check on yourself and see if you've applied for any loans or credit cards lately.

Only other possibilities that come to mind are if someone is planning to file a civil action against you is looking for some inside/personal information,,,,, or, the unlikely possibility that she was a gold digger checking you out in order to see if you were worthy of the time and effort she would have to put into winning your heart, then bankrupt you while you were thinking with the wrong head.

justalayman

Another, possibly bigger concern;

were there any customers/clients private info available in that computer. If this was a theft, then they would surely take whatever they could get.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">