• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Illegal search?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kaveman13

What is the name of your state? TX

I was pulled over in a small county in Texas for speeding. I was in a rental car. I had a joint in the glove box but was not smoking. The trooper asked me to search the car, but I told him no. He said I can't refuse and searched the car anyway. In the trunk he found a bag marijuana, and I told him I had never seen it before it must have come from the previous renter of car. The jail gave me the number of a local defense attorney. The case went to trial the passenger & I were charged with felony possession. I told my attorney what happened, and he said he would talk to the judge. The outcome was defered adjudication, probation for 10 years, 500 hours community service for both of us. I called the rental car company and explained what happened and they denied any wrongdoing. I never admitted to anything, but was pressured into taking the deferrerment b/c the attorney said if it went to trial I would do years of hard time. I feel railroaded, and it has ruined my life. My passenger and I were both charged and received the same sentence. I am still on probation, doing community service, payed over 30,000 in fees. Is there anything I can do to prove attorney incompetence, or collusion. any suggestions? Please help

gawm

Once you sign a plea, that's it! The judge asked you before he accepted it if you are pleading on your own free will and you said yes, otherwise he would not of accepted it. You have a better chance at winning the power ball two weeks in a row than you do getting out of your plea agreement. Once it's accepted, they don't like to let people out of them. Sorry!

CdwJava

Taking the plea pretty much removes any future appeals.

However, you are certainly free to pay for a consultation with another attorney to see what your options are.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">