• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Illegal Search In Michigan Yes Or No???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AGOODNESS

What is the name of your state? MICHIGAN

On January 17, 2006 at approximately 3:30 pm I Anthony GooD was a victim of racial profiling. I was headed east bound on Coldwater Rd in the far left side of a four lane road doing five miles under the speed limit, while wearing my seat belt, I was approached by a Mt. Morris township police car 152 containing officer Paul Murdy and officer vb headed west on the far right side of the road, as I pasted the oncoming Mt. Morris township Police vehicle on sight, the squad car instantly on did a u-turn in my direction and in seconds pulling me over, a few minutes later squad car 152 was accompanied by another Mt. Morris township Police unit car 153.. Officer Paul Murdy approached the driver side of the vehicle, and officer vb 38 approached the passenger side. I immediately rolled down my driver side window and asked what was the problem, and then officer Paul murdy stated the plates on this vehicle was registered to a 2000 Cadillac, and then he went on to tell how long I had the vehicle in my procession, and how a bmw 7 series didn’t mix in with my neighborhood (predominantly black). Then he asked me to turn off my vehicle and for my drivers license, proof of insurance, and registration, as I was giving him my drivers license I told him I did not have proof of insurance or registration, and that I was acquiring a dealers license awaiting dealer plates, and that’s why the plate on the vehicle didn’t match. Officer Murdy then asked me if I would get out of the vehicle I complied, and Then officer Murdy began searching the vehicle as officer murdy searched the vehicle from inside the cabin to the trunk , officer vb 38 began searching my person going through all my pockets and stripping me of the top half of clothing in rainy 28 degree weather, while being violated I questioned officer vb of the procedure, officer vb 38 then stated that improper plates is a misdemeanor and that he could do what ever he wanted, find nothing on my person nor inside the vehicle. Officer vb 38 contained me in the back of the squad car and started writing tickets for having improper plates, no proof of insurance, and no registration… while officer vb 38 was finishing writing the tickets, officer murdy approached the back of the squad car and opened the door to release me , while I was getting out of the squad car officer murdy demands me to take the vehicle straight home and don’t let him see the vehicle again without having the proper plates, I agreed with the officer as I stood beside the squad car awaiting for my traffic infractions, once I received my tickets from officer vb 38, I asked for their names because I could not read the sloppy signatures on the tickets, officer murdy quickly jumped up out of the squad car in a uproar yelling why do I need that information, and he is now going to have the vehicle towed.. Officer Murdy then calls in for a tow truck, and another Mt. Morris Township Police car for back up…

Acknowledging my guilt for not having the proper plates on the vehicle, I still feel that being forced to strip off articles of clothing in rainy 28 degree weather and being talked down to like some sort of animal is far and beyond Police procedure, I think a simple pat down would have been sufficient, not being violated in front of traffic passing by…
I Anthony Good would like to submit this letter of grievance showing how Mt, Morris Township Police Department is know for the mistreatment of blacks in this community…
RESPECTFULLY SUBMITTED
Anthony GooD
01-18-2006

justalayman

You were breaking the law, correct?

From what you stated, it sounds like they knew you had been driving the car illegally for some time. It looks like they caught you breaking the law and stopped you. As far as removing your clothing, not that it couldn't happen but I don't think I have ever seen it. And as far as a simple "pat down" being adequate, if you did commit a misdemeanor, they had full rights to do a complete search, not just a pat down.

If they were willing to let you take the car home originally, the rest of the story doesn't quite add up. If they were intent on being tough on you, they would have just had it towed from the get go.

Were any of the police involved black?

But to answer your question about "illegal search",,,,,,,no it was not.

Mr. Good:

Do I understand your predicament correctly? The plates on your vehicle were registered to a 2000 Cadillac; however, you were driving a bmw 7 series?

Further, you had no proof of insurance or registration?

Your question?

outonbail

This is not racial profiling. If you push the issue it will get you no where. What it will do is add to the attitude that whenever someone claims racial discrimination, that it's just another Anthony Good who's upset that he was caught breaking the law.

Leave the racial claims for those who have actually been abused because of the color of their skin, not because they were breaking the law, times three!

zackwesterling

Laws in Michigan

In this state the legislature has given full police powers to constables, conservation officers-who have prosecutorial powers, and sheriffs etc.
They can do to you what ever they please, just like in Alabama. They have full immunities and impunities. Your out of luck. They can take your house and property if they found a joint in your car. A guy in Grand Haven lost his vintage mustang in the front page of the Tribune to the Department of Public safety, went to court to try get it back and lost. Your income tax refund is gone and can be garnished by the Sheriff for your night in jail. If you drank a beer-you can't title any property like buying a quad or jet ski or vehicle.
If you did not have insurance you pay $150 dollars special assessment fee and conveniently billed again one year later by the computer.
All mistakes are made in favor of the state on not to you!
If you have a playboy mag in front of a minor on the car seat-just leave the state and don't come back as fast as you can bond out.
Those cops can send you down the road naked- and there is nothing you can do about it! Once you walk away greater than 100 feet be prepared for an indecent exposure ticket.
Have CCW permit? There is really no such thing in Michigan- is all figure head paper legislation that is not honored and has no teeth.
If you mess with the police in Michigan you will find out what rights you don't have!
Count yourself lucky that they did not beat you to death and your kids put into foster care.
You screw up in this state you will get slammed dunked several tickets.

Kane

Zack and Good: both of you need to learn the English language, if you want people to take you seriously.

And Good, I'm sorry you feel like the police mistreated you, but you can't drive a BMW with Cadillac plates. That's just stupid.

There's a reason why you have to have the right plates on your car. It's so the police can tell whether the car you're driving is stolen or not.

AGOODNESS

Thankyou Gentleman...

I Would Like To Thankyou Gentleman For Your Educated Opinions, This Has Helped Me Out Alot Thanks Highly Appreicative Tony Good... :d

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">