• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Illegal search & seizure in Nevada involving multiple agencies

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

Klord

I live in the state of Nevada and a while back the county issued a search and seizure warrant on my home to take some unmentionable things from my home. The things that where taken from my home and the allegations are not really the issue with my question here though. So I wont get into those sorts of details.

The main question that I have is that the county issued a search and seizure warrant to confiscate some things from my residence. The county sheriff came over and did their thing and started digging through everything at my home. Then a federal agent came to my home who’s interests do not represent the county and decided to jump in and help out with great zeal in the search and seizure. Does this make the search and seizure illegal? I don’t remember seeing any named agencies outside of my country as being authorized to be a part of the search and seizure on the warrant.

Additionally, I was never provided a receipt of the items taken from my residence after they left my home. I was denied a receipt after requesting one.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Hope someone can answer this post.

Klord
Nevada resident

L

loocpoc

No. Just because a federal agent is involved does not make the search warrant null and void. Also many federal agents are deputized by the local sheriff's office to assist them, this is done big time in states in the west. There are many times I have assisted local officers/deputies on searches as long as the case has a federal nexus to it. Such as, if your on land that might be under jurisdiction of the Bureau of Land Management and the judge issued a search warrant for your house, then yes a BLM ranger or agent can assist on the search.

"Additionally, I was never provided a receipt of the items taken from my residence after they left my home. I was denied a receipt after requesting one."

The sheriff's office has no legal binding to issue you a receipt for evidence taken.

K

Klord

Hmm? The land that my residence is on is not under any federal jurisdiction nor is it owned by any government agency like the BLM. This is my own personal property owned by me. The BLM does not have any interest in it.

The case also does not have any federal nexus related to it what so ever. The Federal agent just happens to be buddies with one of the sheriffs.

I would think that if a judge issues a search and seizure warrant, country representatives in that jurisdiction are the authorized agents to act. I don’t see where it is okay for just about anyone with a badge (regardless of jurisdiction) can just come in willy-nilly and help out with a search and seizure. The federal agent was "not" deputized.

This is no longer the Wild Wild West. This is Nevada. I would expect that this sort of warrant would have some degree of limitations and control to it. If not, well then HEY, its open house at my residence for anyone with a badge. Ride'm cowboy! Yahooooo!

Sorry for sounding so facetious. But this just doesn’t seem right.

Klord

L

loocpoc

Most likely the Federal agent is deputized by the Sheriff's office.

Also about 90% of the state of Nevada is under the ownership of BLM, so you might own the property however it can be on BLM land.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">