• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it illegal to talk to someone who is drinking in public?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

petersneaker

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

Recently, I was walking through a public park with 2 friends on the way to have lunch, one of whom was drinking a beer that was inside a paper bag. I had a bicycle with me, and I jumped on it to ride over to a fence to lock it. As I did this, a black man began to chase me, telling me to stop. I rode 100 feet away from him to lock my bike, thinking he was a mugger. I locked my bike, and turned to see if he was still following me. Then I saw my two friends standing and talking to a black man and a black woman. I walked back over to them, and realized they were undercover police officers. They were very rude and accused me of trying to get away from them, but neither had identified themselves as police officers - they seemed to think I should have just known this, even though they were both in plain clothes. The searched all of us, patted us down, and checked our IDs and ran them for warrants, of which there were none. I emptied out my bag completely for them. I told them I knew one of my friends was drinking in public. I asked if it was a crime for me to be talking and walking with someone who was drinking in public, and they said that it was. Is this really true? Thanks.

CdwJava

Were you arrested or given a citation?

If not, then don't stress about it. It's not illegal to be talking to someone with the alcohol, but any alcohol that you are in constructive control over can be considered possession. So, you could be charged with possession if your pal is drinking and either leaves it within reach of you, or you take it for any reason.

Next time, don't hang with people who are drinking where they shouldn't be.

- carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">