• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

illegal weapons

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LMRMMK

What is the name of your state? AL
My " friend " was arrested and charged with 3 counts of receiving and possessing illegal firearms... (one count was the guns were not registered to him, one was there was no serial number on them, and the other was possessing a silencer) I am not sure I have all of the information and I'm very nervous about posting this as he has a hearing Friday. If I'm not mistaken, it is a bond revocation/probation violation hearing and the jugde will decide whether to release him or keep him in custody. He was on probation ( not quite sure how he could be on probation when the gun charges have not gone to trial yet) and got in an altercation that resulted in a fight with the police getting involved , hence the probation violation. I have spoken to him several times this week, but each time, he isn't able to talk long, and its very noisy so I haven't really been able to find out many details. I guess my question is -- what could the WORSE case scenario be Friday? Has anyone else had any experience with this type of thing?

Some Random Guy

If its a probation violation hearing then he has been convicted of other crimes he never told you about. If its a bail revocation hearing, then they are trying to keep him in jail because he isn't keeping his nose clean while out on bail.

Worst case scenario is that he would be held in jail until his court date on the gun charges and he would be facing a separate trial for the fight.

And I don't care how noisy it is. If he wanted to tell you the true story of what is going on, he could probably says it in 2 to 3 short sentences. Get better friends.

CdwJava

Your "friend" faces some serious felonies! You may want to reconsider this relationship before the cops start looking at his friends and associates as likely partners in whatever criminal undertaking he was involved with.

- Carl

divgradcurl

An unlicensed silence alone has the potential for 10 years in prison. I concur with Carl -- get better friends.

What can happen to someone who has an NFA firearm which is not registered to him?

Violators may be fined not more than $250,000, and imprisoned not more than 10 years, or both. In addition, any vessel, vehicle or aircraft used to transport, conceal or possess an unregistered NFA firearm is subject to seizure and forfeiture, as is the weapon itself.

[49 U.S.C. 781-788, 26 U.S.C. 5861 and 5872]

A silencer is an NFA firearm for this purpose! Yikes!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">